• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti M300-15 BIOS Setup

mcs_5

Experienced Member
How do you enter the full BIOS setup on an Olivetti M300-15 (386SX system)?

It will pop up during boot automatically when errors are detected, but you are only allowed to change the settings the system "thinks" are wrong... I need to change the disk type.

According to an Olivetti service document I found, you just have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL. But that keyboard combination does something else ;)

How do you enter the full BIOS setup on an Olivetti M300-15 (386SX system)?

It will pop up during boot automatically when errors are detected, but you are only allowed to change the settings the system "thinks" are wrong... I need to change the disk type.

According to an Olivetti service document I found, you just have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL. But that keyboard combination does something else ;)

My eyesight's not keen enough, try this:
https://archive.org/details/cap36_201908/page/n7

Thanks. I have the PDF version :)

The manual just tells you to use CTRL+ALT+DEL or SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+DEL. Doesn't work unfortunately...

There's a setup program on the harddisk, which is inaccessible as long as the BIOS setup is wrong... Are the Olivetti diagnostics floppies available anywhere? I haven't been able to find them.

Often, for any system, just holding down a key from power-on until POST catches it will provoke a "key stuck error" and launch BIOS setup.

Often, for any system, just holding down a key from power-on until POST catches it will provoke a "key stuck error" and launch BIOS setup.

Yes. But the "intelligent" BIOS setup causes the problem. It will only allow you to change certain options.

The setup screen I get, looks like this:

Standard_setup.jpg

I disconnected a floppy drive, to provoke an error.

The full setup screen looks something like this (from the manual):

Extended_setup.png

I need the F3 option, but I haven't found a way to get that to appear... Disconnecting the hard drive doesn't do it ;)

Yes. But the "intelligent" BIOS setup causes the problem. It will only allow you to change certain options.

The setup screen I get, looks like this:

View attachment 58191

I disconnected a floppy drive, to provoke an error.

The full setup screen looks something like this (from the manual):

View attachment 58192

I need the F3 option, but I haven't found a way to get that to appear... Disconnecting the hard drive doesn't do it ;)

So, you can do the "four-fingered salute" OK to get a Setup screen now? It's just that it's missing display items?

M300-15 is a 386SX from 1992. It had a 20MHz brother called the M300-08, so if you find the disks for that one, they should work perfectly with it too.

Olivetti really wanted you to use their configuration disks. 27 years later, this becomes a big problem...

Have you tried the M300 configuration disk? M300 is an older system from 1989, but it is also a 386SX. If the disk works in the M300-15 and the program writes to the same addresses, it should work. You can find it here: http://www.filedropper.com/m300disk The file is a self-extracting archive with the disk image inside. You must write the image to a disk. If it doesn't work we can try configuration disks meant for later systems, but they are 486-based.

Time for an update... I finally did get it solved.

I tried connecting the harddrive to my modern(ish) system. It did detect it, but fdisk reported the drive as faulty and 3MB in size. Then I dug out an IBM 486 board, and built this setup:

OliRescue.jpg

It had no problem booting from the Olivetti drive, so I could finally get the setup programme copied to a floppy.

I noticed that the setup directory contained autoexec.bat and config.sys, so I think the directory is a copy of the missing diagnostics disk. So I now have a re-created, bootable, M300-15 "User Diagnostics" disk...

Is there anywhere I should upload a disk image?

Does it have a Dallas 1287 Clock Battery? If it does and its dead you may have limited access to changes until its swapped out with a 12887+. On Youtube, Retrospector78 just restored a Olivetti 286 starting with the PSU and also replaced the Dallas. Check it out!! I think he could enter Ctrl-Alt-Del on his. Hopefully it helps. By the way, this guy is electronics components troubleshooting GURU, finding many common power and short issues on classic PCs!!

Time for an update... I finally did get it solved.

I tried connecting the harddrive to my modern(ish) system. It did detect it, but fdisk reported the drive as faulty and 3MB in size. Then I dug out an IBM 486 board, and built this setup:

View attachment 58416

It had no problem booting from the Olivetti drive, so I could finally get the setup programme copied to a floppy.

I noticed that the setup directory contained autoexec.bat and config.sys, so I think the directory is a copy of the missing diagnostics disk. So I now have a re-created, bootable, M300-15 "User Diagnostics" disk...

Is there anywhere I should upload a disk image?
If you could upload it somewhere or e-mail it to me, that would be nice. Because I also have a m300-15 over here that I am trying to fix.

Maybe I've missed it, but how did you fix the issue with the bios battery?

If you could upload it somewhere or e-mail it to me, that would be nice. Because I also have a m300-15 over here that I am trying to fix.

Finally got the the floppy copied - my floppy drives don't like each other...
Just send me your e-mail address.

Maybe I've missed it, but how did you fix the issue with the bios battery?

What issue? I guess I can just replace it with a CR2032 cell or two. It's a separate battery connected with wires in my system.

Back