• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti PCS Television (486)

BakaOsaka

I just won an auction for an Olivetti "PCS Television" - The problem is I can't find any information about it online!
If I google "PCS Television" I find one article from 1994 that has some information on it, then a few links to the auction I won. The article states:

Olivetti UK Ltd claims to be the most successful personal computer vendor on the UK high street with a 100% sales growth since Christmas. On the back of this supposed sales explosion, it has launched a range of consumer personal computers, the piece de resistance of which is its PCS Television. If you become a proud owner of a PCS you too will be able to watch television while updating your diary on the pre-installed Lotus Development Corp Organizer. But if you really want some fun, this personal computer has teletext, can receive satellite television programmes and has a video play-back facility for recorders or camcorders. It has a built-in television tuner and Digital Video Overlay boards that enable the screen image to be manipulated under Windows, either in the application or full screen mode. As the PCS Television runs Windows, digital video sequences can be captured using the Digital Video Overlay and saved to the hard disk. MS-DOS 6.2, Windows 3.1, MS-Works 3 for Windows and Lotus Organizer are pre-loaded on all the PCS personal computers.

I'm assuming this was just a PCS 486 machine with a tuner card and some special software running on it. Can anyone confirm? I've attached some pictures from the auction - This machine seems to be missing the tuner card.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1
pcs11-1.jpg

m4modulo46.jpg

m300II.jpg

It looks like I have it's sisters... I agree that in your machine the DVBs-card is missing. If you want to rebuild that functionaility, I sugest to try to get a Hauppauge WinTV DVBs, that one is very powerfull as it has the MPEG decoder inside, so it will not trouble the 486 too much. But that card without hacks, it only can today recieve only free to air channels, and in any case no HDTV.

Cheers for the advice - I need to replace the CMOS battery and then I'll try giving that a go. It boots (by default) in to the configuration tool that is all in Italian. However, a generic PCS configuration floppy worked fine for me to change the settings in English.

Back