• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Open Beta for Lair of the Lich King [C128]

I don't know if this info helps you in any way, but I tried it out on my pal 128dcr - runs perfect so far. Played half an hour without problems.
Cool game!!!
Yes, that's helpful. Every bit of data is helpful, even if it's just "it runs fine on my XXX". Thanks for testing!

Tested it on my pal 128dcr via sd2iec
as drive 9 - runs just fine!

The little messages are funny!

Some points I wanna mention:

- please remind my asking of possible stupid questions my be a result of the limited sparetime I have, lack of experience with dungeon crawlers or the simple fact that I am not the brightest one. 😂

- After changing armor, I am immediately thrown out of the inventory menu and have to reenter it in order to change something else.

- Why or how exactly do I die? Do I have a limited number of rounds/steps/time? On one occasion i tried to walk the stairs without any enemy around and got a "you are dead screen".

- How do I beat the game?

- Is it possible to add a little walking or fighting sound or intro music? Just a single bloobedy-blap would be nice. I guess there is no way do to the lack of free memory?

- Can I save my progress / how does the restore (a game) work?

- Can I help you (with testing) Pal machines in any way?

- When the game is released, do you offer shipping of a boxed game to Germany?

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Tested it on my pal 128dcr via sd2iec
as drive 9 - runs just fine!

Really? That's good to know. I didn't even test drive 8 vs 9, and I don't have SD2IEC either.

The little messages are funny!

Some points I wanna mention:

- please remind my asking of possible stupid questions my be a result of the limited sparetime I have, lack of experience with dungeon crawlers or the simple fact that I am not the brightest one. 😂

- After changing armor, I am immediately thrown out of the inventory menu and have to reenter it in order to change something else.
The manual does explain this, but the basic reason is this: it takes time to change into, or out of, armor, so doing so uses up one of your turns. It returns you to "real time" / main view when you do either, so that you can see monsters/etc. trying to hit you, or move closer, etc.

- Why or how exactly do I die? Do I have a limited number of rounds/steps/time? On one occasion i tried to walk the stairs without any enemy around and got a "you are dead screen".
You have hit points (the heart icon at lower/right). When those get to 0, either through combat, or magic, you are dead.

In the demo only, it "kills" you after the 3rd floor, because the demo only has 3 floors. Apologies about the suddenness of that, but I basically have zero bytes left right now. In the real game, of course, that would never happen, and you have 25+ floors to play with.

- How do I beat the game?
This is covered in the manual (did I mention it will come with a beautiful manual?), but it's pretty true to Rogue in this sense: go to the bottom, find the magic thingie, fight your way back out to daylight, don't get killed by monsters, Lich King, or the surprise.

- Is it possible to add a little walking or fighting sound or intro music? Just a single bloobedy-blap would be nice. I guess there is no way do to the lack of free memory?
Music was a stretch goal but unfortunately, the budget is spent. I would have to drop features which I think add more (I could be wrong) to gameplay than the music, in order to free up space for a minimalist player, and of course, space for the tune. :(
- Can I save my progress / how does the restore (a game) work?
It autosaves at the end of each level, so if you die on level 2, and do Restore, you start again on level 2. (different MAP is generated though).

- Can I help you (with testing) Pal machines in any way?
Err... what would I need to do to support PAL machines? VDC is same chip for both, I think? I'll do what I can, but would need some help.

- When the game is released, do you offer shipping of a boxed game to Germany?
Absolutely hope to. I am a newbie at this part of it, and am learning as I go. A friend said it could be cheaper to sell the overseas ones via eBay, because eBay apparently consolidates all international shipping, making it cheaper. I don't have final boxes yet, and don't know final weight, but will be looking into that in June.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!
Thanks for testing!

Really? That's good to know. I didn't even test drive 8 vs 9, and I don't have SD2IEC either.

The manual does explain this, but the basic reason is this: it takes time to change into, or out of, armor, so doing so uses up one of your turns. It returns you to "real time" / main view when you do either, so that you can see monsters/etc. trying to hit you, or move closer, etc.

You have hit points (the heart icon at lower/right). When those get to 0, either through combat, or magic, you are dead.

In the demo only, it "kills" you after the 3rd floor, because the demo only has 3 floors. Apologies about the suddenness of that, but I basically have zero bytes left right now. In the real game, of course, that would never happen, and you have 25+ floors to play with.

This is covered in the manual (did I mention it will come with a beautiful manual?), but it's pretty true to Rogue in this sense: go to the bottom, find the magic thingie, fight your way back out to daylight, don't get killed by monsters, Lich King, or the surprise.

Music was a stretch goal but unfortunately, the budget is spent. I would have to drop features which I think add more (I could be wrong) to gameplay than the music, in order to free up space for a minimalist player, and of course, space for the tune. :(

It autosaves at the end of each level, so if you die on level 2, and do Restore, you start again on level 2. (different MAP is generated though).

Err... what would I need to do to support PAL machines? VDC is same chip for both, I think? I'll do what I can, but would need some help.

Absolutely hope to. I am a newbie at this part of it, and am learning as I go. A friend said it could be cheaper to sell the overseas ones via eBay, because eBay apparently consolidates all international shipping, making it cheaper. I don't have final boxes yet, and don't know final weight, but will be looking into that in June.

Thanks for testing!
Just read the freakin manual 😂 Yeah, i should. 😂

Since I am no programmer I do not really know what to look out for regarding differences in NTSC and Pal machines.
It is logical that there is a speed difference between 50/60 Hz machines, but I do not know what causes some games to not work on either a PAL or NTSC machine.

But since your game runs just fine so far without any problems on my 128, I don't think you have to worry about it. I try testing it on emulator with different settings in Pal and get back to you in the next couple of days.
🖖🏻

Back