• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Open Beta for Lair of the Lich King [C128]

Hey AmigaLove! Cool to see you here. big fan! Did you guys ever get that crazy A1000 memory expansion thingie board going? I was reading that for a while. Phoenix Board?

On the disk: yeah, basically just saying you should make a backup and run off that. I use the Uii+ to copy from USB stick to d71 internal, and run from that that. Should work fine running from the Uii+ or really whatever, but any testing would be very welcome. It's quite possible it only works from drive 8.

Sweet! Can't wait to get this going. I'll follow in your footsteps and copy from the Uii over to my internal 71. Once I get settled, I can move the files over to other storage devices and see how that plays out. You may not know this, but I'm a HUGE Rogue fan. What you've got here (w/o playing it, just reading about it) reminds me a little of Nethack in a very cool way. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though. Really looking forward to diving in!

Thanks for the kind words, Warty. As for the memory expansion... do you mean the A1000 Rejuvenator? It gives your A1K up to 2MB of chip, and a KS ROM as its main benefits. Was that what you meant? That's out there and folks have been building them for a while now.

Sweet! Can't wait to get this going. I'll follow in your footsteps and copy from the Uii over to my internal 71. Once I get settled, I can move the files over to other storage devices and see how that plays out. You may not know this, but I'm a HUGE Rogue fan. What you've got here (w/o playing it, just reading about it) reminds me a little of Nethack in a very cool way. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though. Really looking forward to diving in!

Thanks for the kind words, Warty. As for the memory expansion... do you mean the A1000 Rejuvenator? It gives your A1K up to 2MB of chip, and a KS ROM as its main benefits. Was that what you meant? That's out there and folks have been building them for a while now.
Yes, this thing... It got done! Wow! fantastic.

I'm a HUGE Rogue fan
You might like the attached screenshot then.

Let me know when if you get past level 3 and want to do some serious dungeoneering. It does take some time to get down to the bottom and back up. Would really value your Rogue experience.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 9.12.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 9.12.47 PM.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes, this thing... It got done! Wow! fantastic.

You might like the attached screenshot then.

Let me know when if you get past level 3 and want to do some serious dungeoneering. It does take some time to get down to the bottom and back up. Would really value your Rogue experience.
Let me be clear. I've done a LOT of exploration of the Rogue variants on Amiga made pre-1993. But my core obsession is Rogue by EPYX. Out of the hundreds of times I've played it (it is my personal D&D Solitaire, which I love on Amiga the most due to the single screen view and keyboard speed controls). But out of all the times I've chased that amulet, I've only ever beaten it once. One single time.

And frankly, I think that level of difficulty combined with the D&D theme and procedurally created experience is what makes me come back.

You're going very old school DOS graphics in your implementation. My brother, who got me hooked on Rogue originally, would approve. I like the simplistic graphics of what the Amiga offers, which was also created by the original Rogue devs.

I very much look forward to seeing how your version puts its own spin on things in the next few weeks as I spelunk down.

Last edited:
Let me be clear. I've done a LOT of exploration of the Rogue variants on Amiga made pre-1993. But my core obsession is Rogue by EPYX. Out of the hundreds of times I've played it (it is my personal D&D Solitaire, which I love on Amiga the most due to the single screen view and keyboard speed controls). But out of all the times I've chased that amulet, I've only ever beaten it once. One single time.

That sounds about right! I never played the Epyx Amiga Rogue version. I started on Rogue for PC, as it was the only game on my Dad's 5150. I played that a lot, I don't even know that I beat it once.

And frankly, I think that level of difficulty combined with the D&D theme and procedurally created experience is what makes me come back.

Very curious how the difficulty level of Lichie plays out for you. I was aiming for easier-than-Rogue-but-still-harder-than-you-might-expect. It's super easy to tune the monsters. I have tuned them a few times based on my play through, but more feedback would be great.

You're going very old school DOS graphics in your implementation. My brother, who got me hooked on Rogue originally, would approve. I like the simplistic graphics of what the Amiga offers, which was also created by the original Rogue devs.
So the screenshot up there is from a straight port (not straightforward, lol, but 'pure') from I think version 3.6 of the UNIX sources. I finished that, all except for the Save/Restore functionality. My internal name for that was "First Rogue" because I wanted a version for Amiga that was purely text-based. (but each "character" is a graphic, as I recall).

Lich King for B128 is limited to characters of course (no custom char set), but for C128 and F256 it uses custom chars (no bitmaps were harmed). Not sure what I would do if I made an Amiga port.

I very much look forward to seeing how your version puts its own spin on things in the next few weeks as I spelunk down.
Give it a whirl! There are some hopefully fun changes as you get to deeper levels, and then again when you try to fight your way out.

The only limiter I have on extra keys is memory. The inventory screen is in an overlay with a lot of free space, so I was able to add more keys. The main game though has basically no bytes free, although I did free up some in beta 7 when I disabled the rest of the cheat commands. I'll see if I can add in S and the cursors. The cursors on a C128 are not very useful (all in a line at top of keyboard), but they are very nice when running in VICE or something.
Understood. Yes, the cursor keys at the top of the keyboard are pretty useless, but old-school Commodore 64/128 users generally still have the muscle memory to deftly use the lower right cursor keys, and a lot of applications were developed with them in mind.

So it looks like I have the extra VRAM at least according to the BASIC tests on the previous links. I haven't opened it up but I'm fairly confident.

For display I have a texelec digital rgb to hdmi which seems happy.

I am trying to play this from an SD2IEC, pardon my noobness with Commodore hardware; launching it from the file browser lands me at a colorful but incorrect 80 column screen of text, a couple portions of which are blinking. Is there a proper way to load this disk image on SC2IEC or could I be dealing with other issues?

So it looks like I have the extra VRAM at least according to the BASIC tests on the previous links. I haven't opened it up but I'm fairly confident.

For display I have a texelec digital rgb to hdmi which seems happy.

I am trying to play this from an SD2IEC, pardon my noobness with Commodore hardware; launching it from the file browser lands me at a colorful but incorrect 80 column screen of text, a couple portions of which are blinking. Is there a proper way to load this disk image on SC2IEC or could I be dealing with other issues?
I don't have an SD2IEC, so can't offer any wisdom there. The blinking bits of screen doesn't sound promising though. Screenshot?

Understood. Yes, the cursor keys at the top of the keyboard are pretty useless, but old-school Commodore 64/128 users generally still have the muscle memory to deftly use the lower right cursor keys, and a lot of applications were developed with them in mind.
Ok, freed up a few more bytes, you can now use WASD, WAXD, cursors, or keypad 8462 for movement. In the next beta.

I think you have a 16k VDC. Here is the Z64K emulator running, next to your screenshot above. I have Z64K configured to 16k VDC for this shot. VICE is a great emulator, but doesn't emulate the VDC very carefully. So I think your sd2iec setup is working fine (unfortunately).

Attachments

• LK C128 splash - 16k vdc.png
    LK C128 splash - 16k vdc.png
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 7
That's all good! Something must be wrong with the tests in BASIC so I'll pop it open. Appreciate the help!

Beta 9 - minor tweaks:
- added code to disable run/stop on run, and re-enable on quit. haven't confirmed it works.
- reclaimed some space, so now there are more alternate movement keys enabled in main game mode. WASD, WAXD, cursors, and 8462 should all work now.

One tester has raised a question about B and V in tinker mode. B switches to "Buy" mode, and V switches to Sell mode. I did B/V because they were next to each other, and S was used (at the time) for down. B/V may not be super intuitive. Thoughts on having "B" toggle you from buy to sell mode? other suggestions?

Beta 10
- changed splash screen "Open" to "Restore", and shortcut O to R, to better reflect what this functionality actually does: restore the last game you played, at the start of the level you died on.
- If you restore a game, rather than start from new, your deepest level is never updated, for Top 10 purposes. This provides a way to see games that were played through in one attempt vs multiple attempts (restores).
- any loot you have when you die is only scored at half face value, because you didn't make it out of the dungeon. Gold is scored at full value.
- added 'S' as another alt down key in inventory mode

Attachments

• lichking_c128_1.0b10_demo.d71.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 3
Beta 11
- In Tinker Mode, dropped having separate B and V keys to toggle between Buy and Sell modes: the H key will now toggle back and forth.
- disabled the "disable run-stop/restore key" routine, as it caused a freeze on a tester machine, perhaps due to slight differences in ROMs.
- tweaked the difficulty by reducing number of moves allowed before Lich King shows up on a given floor.

Attachments

• lichking_c128_1.0b11_demo.d71.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 10
I don't know if this info helps you in any way, but I tried it out on my pal 128dcr - runs perfect so far. Played half an hour without problems.
Cool game!!!

Back