• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Orchid RamQuest XT/AT 8MB RAM board with 4MB installed: EMS 4.0 and UMBs on XT

True, there aren't enough packages that do. I use WordPerfect 5.1 and Geoworks Ensemble 2.0, both of which use EMS. Quite a few VGA games use it as well (I have Day of the Tentacle running with speech on my 10MHz XT), and a decent-sized RAMdisk is useful for %temp%. I don't do much multitasking but this is a good board for DESQView (or Windows, I suppose), since it can backfill down to 256KB. But really, just having UMBs on this class of machine is cute!

Very nice setup! If only more software used EMS. I use EMS with Turbo Pascal all the time, but unfortunately TP doesn't use very much of it.

EMS is actually quite useful in XT machines for task switching with drdos or MS-DOS 6. Almost feels like having screen or tmux.

Actually, to best even those, DesqView runs amazingly well on an 8088 system with EMS, especially if you can backfill the lower 640K with RAM provided by the EMS board. Even if you can't you can still multitask, but only between what will fit into the lower 640K at any given time (and larger stuff will be swapped in/out more slowly).

Yes, I had this card multitasking with DV and two monitors - one Hercules, one VGA. There's a thread on here somewhere about my efforts. The Orchid card will backfill down to 256KB so it's quite effective for that. I think the only limitation was multitasking more than one VGA graphical app at a time: from memory that required a 386.

Back