• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 (non-working)

th3bar0n

Experienced Member
I have an Orchid Tiny Turbo without the cable or daughtercard that I'm trying to get going.

20180526_182013676_iOS.jpg

I was able to source what I think is a functional equivalent for the daughtercard, that has the pin locations correct. I've also made a cable to connect to the CPU socket and can now start my 5160 with the CPU on the daughtercard and the cable in the 8088 motherboard socket.

20180526_181848574_iOS.jpg
20180526_181937287_iOS.jpg

If I insert the daughtercard in the tiny turbo (installed in slot 7 with the W1 jumper off) the machine also starts up fine but only if the switch is set to off. If I power up with the switch on, I get a small click from the speaker and the PSU fan runs but no POST.

I've removed and reseated all the socketed ICs, along with the 80286 and I've checked for any broken tracks. There are a number of tantalum capacitors but visually they seem fine. The memory switch block was also set correctly.

Does anyone know how these cards tend to fail? Is there anything else I can check at this point?
If anyone has one, I'd be curious what the daughtercard looks like, maybe there's some logic on there that I'm missing. Thank you for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Back