• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Original Mac keyboard repair

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I am currently working on repairing the keyboard that came with my Macintosh 512k(e).

Four of they keys have broken off, and one of the keyswitches is broken apparently beyond repair. The best fix would be to replace the keyswitch, but I have not found a good source for those yet. ePay had a listing, but $10 for one switch plus $40 something for shipping is just stupid, and is not going to happen.

Do any of you know where I can get those keyswitches? Even better would be a complete keyboard. It is the original Mac keyboard, not the extended one.

I also remember seeing a site which had a how-to on how to fix the keyboard stems with filed down screws, but I forgot where I saw it. Do you know what site I am thinking about?

If you have a keyboard (either complete or for parts) let me know :)

Hi, I think the Plus keyboard is the extended one with the numeric keyboard. I could move keyswitches and keycaps from it anyway, so how much do you ask for it?

Man that is a great hall. Im trying my best to hold off going to ebay for the newer ones like Rock & Roll. Im trying my best to get Series 1 Snake Eyes with Timber but ebay prices are well over $25 range and my wife would kill me to spend that much on one so early in the game. My Star Wars habbit is enough.Hi, I think the Plus keyboard is the extended one with the numeric keyboard. I could move keyswitches and keycaps from it anyway, so how much do you ask for it?

Last edited:
IIRC the keyswitches are the same on all the early Macs up to the Plus. The Apple IIe used them as well.

They're nice keyboards from a service perspective. Each key is a separate switch soldered to a PCB, it's easy to remove and replace them individually, and you can even take them apart for cleaning, I've had a few get gummed up.

Back