• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Orinoco pcmcia for Win 3.11 drivers?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I have the iso for the Orinoco pcmcia 16 bit wifi card and the installation instructions. It has Win 95 and up drivers and also Dos cad/odi/packet drivers. There don't seem to be any Win 3.11 WFW drivers!

The installation instructions skip right over the part where you go into Windows->Network Setup and pick your adapter and install the drivers. It says to run your Network Client Setup for your hardware to set that up. Do I need to try to find some generic drivers like Novel NetWare?

So my question is how do I get an Orinoco card working in Windows 3.11? Setup was a breeze in Win 3.11 with a desktop NIC and Xircom parallel adapter.

I think you just need the ODI drivers and they are in the DOS directory. Set it up under DOS and it will work in Win 3.11.

So if the ODI drivers were working in straight dos I don't need to add any adapters into networking in windows? Right now I have none added and windows gripes about it. On a latop with an Xircom I added the Win 3.1 drivers for that adapter in windows and the same for a Intel isa card.

ODI drivers should not be working in DOS (IIRC) as they are supposed to be 'enhanced' drivers...
You SHOULD be able to access the dos drivers from the WFW311 network setup tho... it should show which are STD and which are not... even if you have them configured in DOS...
:D

Guess I'm mega confused then :)

All the documentation talks about running the wvlan42.com (packet driver) and wvlan43.com (ODI) from straight dos.

"I can confirm that the Orinoco Gold works fine in Windows for Workgroups. While Orinoco never put out a 3.11 driver, 3.11 will interface to an ODI driver. So, the proper procedure is to set up the Orinoco ODI driver, install Novell’s LSL bridge, and then tell Windows to use a DOS ODI driver. Packet drivers won’t work, as Windows can’t talk to them." (http://www.notanon.com/networking/how-to-set-up-802-11b-wifi-on-ms-dos/2010/09/16/)

That guy has a write up on getting things working, however I haven't been successful yet with either the packet or the odi driver.

I suggest you ignore everything I said, except for this:

You will want to enable the novell IN WINDOWS thru the setup.

... it has been a VERRY LOONG time since I set up wfw... getting senile. :p

Follow the instructions that came with the Orinoco card to get the ODI drivers running in DOS. Once they are setup, start Windows and add an adapter called "IPXODI Support Driver (Ethernet)". This is a driver "shim" that will communicate using an ODI driver loaded in memory.

Microsoft has setup tips here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/106712

Follow the instructions that came with the Orinoco card to get the ODI drivers running in DOS. Once they are setup, start Windows and add an adapter called "IPXODI Support Driver (Ethernet)". This is a driver "shim" that will communicate using an ODI driver loaded in memory.
That was my guess as to what to pick but I haven't been able to get that far. The wvlancad.sys appears to load fine during start up but running wvlan43.com fails. It says no LSL present. Trying the packet driver wvlan42.com fails the same way.

I tried finding a copy of LSL.com 2.20 and I run that then the wclan43.com. Still doesn't turn the card on.

I found a set of card socket drivers from compaq for dos and tried installing those instead of wvlancad.sys. I tried it and then the above stuff and it didn't make any difference.

I'm not sure what I could be missing inbetween wvlancad.sys loading and starting wvlan43.com.

I guess the Orinoco has let me down when it comes to Dos. Actually I think it's more likely that Compaq is letting me down than Orinoco. I have 3 of these Compaq laptops (40/50/75mhz) and all 3 do the same thing. I also have two Orinoco cards, both Gold. Maybe my best solution is to use my Xircom adapter with it. Slower, bulkier, etc but at least it works good.

Back