• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 Display Refresh Rate

deepthaw

Not the right place to ask but I’ve been waiting several days for my os2world account to get verified…

Does anybody know how to set custom refresh rates in OS/2 Warp 3? It doesn’t seem to identify my monitor’s capabilities correctly and I don’t see anywhere obvious to force it.

More detail about your hardware would be nice.

Welcome to the vced.org forums.

Cirrus Logic GD5428 1MB driving a Dell e772c. I know the card is going to limit me some but I’ve gotten better refresh rates at higher resolutions in Windows 3.1. The e772c can do up to 70khz or so. It’s topping me out at 800x600@56hz and 1024x768 is interlaced. So far as I can tell, I have the latest drivers for the card itself.

You'll most likely need a newer driver for the card. I have the same video card running under Red Hat Linux 6.0 on my 386DX25 with 8megs of ram. Try Warp 3 Connects driver as that Warp version had quite a few updates over the RTM version.

What cpu/mobo? If it has early pci slots S3 cards work wonderful in Warp Connect.

Last edited:
You'll most likely need a newer driver for the card. I have the same video card running under Red Hat Linux 6.0 on my 386DX25 with 8megs of ram. Try Warp 3 Connects driver as that Warp version had quite a few updates over the RTM version.

What cpu/mobo? If it has early pci slots S3 cards work wonderful in Warp Connect.

486DX4/100. HP Vectra VL2 motherboard with just ISA slots. Lack of VLB or PCI makes me suspect it’s not worth upgrading from what seems to be an unremarkable yet broadly supported card. I installed from the Connect version of Warp and am using those drivers already.

I’m really liking OS/2 on this box. I just hate 56hz.

The traditional OS/2 video driver model puts all work on the video driver. If the resolution selection does not allow you to change the refresh rate, you might be running a driver without such support. The SVGA support in OS/2 is not very friendly in general.

Do you run the drivers included with OS/2? You may need to switch to vendor-provided drivers, for example the ones available at https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/graphics_drivers.php.

Did you update your system? The latest FixPak for Warp 3 (all non-server versions) is FixPak 40 (WRnW040, n = language code). FixPak 35 and newer support a new driver architecture, which simplifies driver development and provides many generic drivers. Some other drivers also require this support.

It looks like the driver thinks its attached to a standard VGA monitor. Can you select the monitor by hand? If you can convince the display driver that it can use a higher clock rate you should get an improved refresh rate.

Back