• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

os X Browser Problems

fred3rd

Experienced Member
First off I'd like to apologize if this in the wrong place or if the machine is too new for this forum. I recently purchased an iBook clamshell with a 366cpu. I upgraded the ram to 576 mb, and added an airport card. It has classic 9.1 installed and also os 10.0. All works great except the browser. An old version of internet exploder. It continuously has unexpected errors and closes. I can't even view the VCF. I wanted to download and install a real browser, like firefox or opera. I found them at www.oldversions.com , but they give no system requirements with the downloads. I tried some versions that I thought would be compatible, but they either wouldn't work or wouldn't install.
If anybody has a suggestion and/or a good link I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I have to find a browser for os 10.0 because os 9 doesn't support my airport card.
Thanks

Aren't you entitled to a free uprade to Mac OS 10.1 ?

Aren't you entitled to a free uprade to Mac OS 10.1 ?

Mac OS X 10.0 users were allowed to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.1 for free, basically because 10.0 was too buggy and unstable.

I recommend you to upgrade to 10.1. Once you've done this, you'll be able to use an older version (0.8.5) of the Camino browser:

http://caminobrowser.org/download/#os10.1.5
http://caminobrowser.org/releases/0.8.5/

If it is the Clamshelll with FireWire, it can run OS X Tiger, which supports Safari 4. If you do not have the Firewire model (Which I have), Use XPostFacto to install OS X Tiger on it. I did it on mine and it works fine. Keep in mind that you will need the CD version of OS X, unless you want to disassemble the laptop and jerry-rig a laptop DVD-rom to the ibook.

10.0.x is basically unusable. Not much better than a beta release.

10.1 is FAR more useful. Unless you specifically want 10.0 for "vintage" value, don't use it. It is *NOT* an OS for day-to-day use. I have 10.0 installed on two machines, solely for their vintage nature. Both machines also have 10.4+ on them for "real" use.

Update

Update

Ok, Here's the deal. I dug up the disk from my old iMac and installed Classic 9.2.2 and os X 10.1. I then downloaded and installed Mozilla 1.7.11 and here I am. All seems to be working great. I also have a copy of os X 10.2,(2 cd set), but got errors during install. This is a firewire iBook so I did something wrong I guess.

Back