• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS2 Warp on Compaq LTE Elite!

Caluser, I don't guess your also using an Orinoco card are you? If so then I could steal your config.sys to look at and a few other settings. It might help me pin down what the deal is.

I have three places where I have SSID settings:
- in my profile.ini (the MMTP setttings updated this for me)
- in the MMTP settings for my orinoco card
- in the wifistate utility

Another thing that I don't know if this is normal or not:
1. During bootup and the LAN/MMTP initialization (console during boot) the lights on the card come on and both blink a few times
2. Once booted into OS/2 both lights blink every 10 seconds
(From the manual "The PC Card works fine, but did not yet succeed establishing a wireless connection with the wireless Infrastructure.")
3. Once I start up the wifistate utility the power light comes on and the lights act as if connected correctly
4. If I exit the wifistate utility the card stays active

Maybe if I could get the card to connect during step #1 or #2 things would work?

Last edited:
Thanks Cal for the picture/comparison.
You're welcome. Happy to share. For some reason they had File Sharing as NO though. I suspect that was to push the server product line.

pcm2a I'm strickly a wired guy for my old stuff. I do have a PCMIA wireless Cisco card I'm going to have a crack at sometime though.

Last edited:
More nuggets of almost useless information...

- On my router (WRT54G, Tomato) I can see the mac address of the Orinoco connected. I found that very interesting.
- On my phone (access point) I do not see the Orinoco connected, also interesting...

As to the blinking lights that I describe in the post above:
- I took out my Orinoco Gold card and put in my Orinoco Silver card (upgraded to Gold firmware)
- During the bootup with this card the power light does come on and it makes it's real but not real connection to my router/ap
So I guess that's not causing my problems. I wonder why one powers on and one doesn't, but both will power on once OS/2 is booted up.

- Taking either card out while OS/2 is running means that's the end of that, until you reboot. Not very plug and play.

Tried a fixpack to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.25. Fixpack installed great, get a trap during boot :-( Good thing I made a partition backup first.

Tried a fixpack to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.25. Fixpack installed great, get a trap during boot :-( Good thing I made a partition backup first.

You can back out of fixpacks with a little work https://www.allthingsdigital.nl/2001...n-os2-fixpack/
I had a similar issue on my old Warp 4 box with Fixpack 15 so backed out and installed 14.

OS/2 Warp had some cool stuff like backing up desktop/system settings well before it was incorporated into MSs offerings.

Last edited:
Day 999 troubleshooting update, lol. Today I downloaded the Xircom (parallel ethernet) drivers. Took about 10 seconds to remove the Orinoco and install the Xircom. Rebooted and the network works fine. I'm thinking my next step is to locate some other drivers for this Orinoco card. Some sites day to use the Artem driver some say to use the Prism driver. The Artem woudn't power on either of my Gold cards, so I went with the prism. Maybe I can find an older version of it.

I also have this Wavelan card on the way. The model number is the same on the back PC24E-H-FC but maybe it will use a different chipset. For example there are Wavelan pcmcia drivers for Win 3.1 but there are not Orinoco drivers. I'll give it a shot when it comes in next week.

2.0 RC4 is the generic prism driver that I had been using with the "partial success". I've been looking for an older version of it but no luck yet.

I find people reporting they have had success with an "ibmprism.exe" and an "ibmwifi2.exe". I tried found the "ibmprism.exe" but the card did not power on with it. I see billions of references to the ibmwifi2.exe" but have not found a copy to download. Keep an eye out for it.

In a pack of drivers from a torrent I nabbed the ibmwifi2 and a prism2 and prism2.5 driver. The ibmwifi2 and prism2.5 acted exactly like the generic prism driver (2.0 rc4). The wifi card powers on, I can "sort of" connect to my open access points but never ping the router. The prism2 would not power on the card, must not be a compatible driver.

Back