• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne 1 New mechanical keyboard

I have started putting a keyboard together. It will work on the early and later 1/1A keyboards. It will also work on the Executive. Here is where I made it so far. The keys are a little lower but look like they will work fine. This is the stock mounting no modifications.

Attachments

• 20230212_211804.jpg
    20230212_211804.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230212_211750.jpg
    20230212_211750.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230212_211743.jpg
    20230212_211743.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230212_211735.jpg
    20230212_211735.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230212_155914.jpg
    20230212_155914.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
Looks like an interesting project. I was looking for a parallel port connected old style ASCII keyboard, but this could work as well. My first keyboard was the one that Radio Shack used to sell and was similar to the kit from SWTPC. It used the KR2376 chip. Several years ago I built a keyboard around the PND1188/EDE1188 Keyboard Encode chip. That chip has 8 row and 8 column decoding and provided parallel or serial output. From the picture, it looks like the keyboard could be adapted to a parallel interface with the '1188 chip.

I'm super curious - did this ever come together as a finished product available for purchase? I'd definitely be interested in at least one, and possibly three units depending on price...

Let me know!

Huxley

Yes, it almost ready. I am putting the finising touches to it and will start with some in kit form and then move to a complete ready to go unit. The kit should be ready this next weekend.

I will have some to sell.

I'll take one!

I just purchased a early Osborne 1 off ebay listed as not working and from what I have seen the OEM keyboards have issues so I might as well plan on it having issues..

The keyboard kits will be ready soon. I am finishing the manual for it. I am a better builder than writer:)

Yes, it almost ready. I am putting the finising touches to it and will start with some in kit form and then move to a complete ready to go unit. The kit should be ready this next weekend.
Very exciting news! If you're keeping a list of potential buyers, please put my name on it :)
The keyboard kits will be ready soon. I am finishing the manual for it. I am a better builder than writer:)
For what it's worth, I do a ton of technical writing for my work (and for fun too - i.e., I've had featured articles in every published issue of Pixel Addict Magazine). If you want any help proofing your manual, feel free to PM me - I'd be happy to help!

Huxley

Last edited:
Very exciting news! If you're keeping a list of potential buyers, please put my name on it :)

For what it's worth, I do a ton of technical writing for my work (and for fun too - i.e., I've had featured articles in every published issue of Pixel Addict Magazine). If you want any help proofing your manual, feel free to PM me - I'd be happy to help!

Huxley
DM sent

I just snagged one. I did not even read the listing, I just clicked buy it now,

Thanks!!

A dumb question though; after looking on bitsavers.org, I can find the schematics of the keyboard interface but not the actual keyboard itself. Given what is shown in the pictures you posted, and seeing that +12v is provided to the keyboard on the OCC2 model, there is circuitry on the keyboard itself. What is a good source for the schematic of the board you are kitting for sale? Myke

Back