• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Osborne executive 6 MHz version?

agentb

Experienced Member
The following comment showed up on the Osborne Executive Wikipedia page today:

“The CPU in the Executive was the Zilog Z80B running at 6MHz not the Z80A in the description.

The only operating system supported by Osborne was CP/M Plus (3.0). It was never supported by CP/M (2.2).

The description states that sales were 10,000+. It actually sold 16,000+ in the first 3 months following introduction and many more following that.

I was product manager for the Osborne Executive.”

My understanding is that the machine was only 4 MHz Z 80 A. Was there certain revisions that had a 6 MHz Z 80 B? doesn’t seem particularly likely to me but maybe some of the later models?

And what about the comment about CP/M Plus only, does that make sense?

cp/m 3.0 plus is the only os I know that worked with the Executive. As far as I know the Executive was basically an O1A with a bunch of upgrades and a different ROM.

cp/m 3.0 plus is the only os I know that worked with the Executive. As far as I know the Executive was basically an O1A with a bunch of upgrades and a different ROM.
Right that makes sense CP/M 3.0 would be required to access the memory above 64 KB

It's possible the person is just confused, or remembers it differently. It was a long time ago. I posted a question to Wikipedia to ask as it would be interesting to get their input on what did and what might have existed.

Ok cool thanks - yeah maybe they had hoped to use a 6 MHz Z80B but never got the chance.

Back