• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell Legend 610 Boot Error

mattm16

Hello:

I have a Packard Bell Legend 610 PC that has both a 3.5 inch and a 5.25 inch drive. On boot, there is an error message "Invalid System Configuration. F1 to continue or F2 for setup. In setup I have the 1st drive as the 3.5 inch and the 2nd drive as the 5.25 inch. The 3.5 inch is connected on the cable after the twist. I have verified the jumper on the 5.25 inch drive is in the drive 2 position. Could this be a bad drive?

Likely a (completely) dead CMOS battery . It won't change until you replace it.
If I remove the 5.25 drive from the configuration, everything works. Installed DOS, a couple games with the 3.5 inch drive. No errors except when the 5.25 drive is connected. I didn't know if it could be the drive or a jumper setting on the motherboard.

If I remove the 5.25 drive from the configuration, everything works. Installed DOS, a couple games with the 3.5 inch drive. No errors except when the 5.25 drive is connected. I didn't know if it could be the drive or a jumper setting on the motherboard.

Still likely a dead CMOS battery. If it boots with that configuration, what does a "TIME" command return in DOS (even if you have to boot from a DOS floppy)?

Indeed, it's CMOS settings. Go into Setup and add a 5.25" 1.2mb floppy drive as drive B.

- Alex
I did that. It was drive 2. At that point then it errors out. Remove the drive and the setting in the BIOS, and it reboots just fine. All settings in the BIOS stays correct, the time, the hard drive settings, the 3.5 inch drive. Current time is correct in the BIOS and using the TIME command. Is it a possibility it could be the drive itself?

On boot, there is an error message "Invalid System Configuration.
Probably:
"Hey Mr. User. You have informed me via CMOS configuration that your configuration is XYZ, but my quick check reveals something different to that configuration."

If I remove the 5.25 drive from the configuration, everything works.
Which informs me that the 610 is not one of the computers in the category of requiring a straight-through (flat) cable.

Is it a possibility it could be the drive itself?
Could be. Obviously, you have no means of testing the drive elsewhere.

- Per the diagram at [here], with the 5.25" drive fitted as B:, was the drive's terminator removed/disabled ?

- Does everything work okay if the 5.25" drive is the only drive, fitted as A:, and has the terminator fitted/enabled, and the CMOS SETUP is configured accordingly ?

- Sometimes, it is discovered that the lubrication on a 5.25" drive's carriage rails has very significantly deteriorated over the years. See the 'Deteriorated lubrication' section of [here].

- Could it be that the 5.25" drive is a 360K one, not 1.2M ?

Probably:
"Hey Mr. User. You have informed me via CMOS configuration that your configuration is XYZ, but my quick check reveals something different to that configuration."

Which informs me that the 610 is not one of the computers in the category of requiring a straight-through (flat) cable.

Could be. Obviously, you have no means of testing the drive elsewhere.

- Per the diagram at [here], with the 5.25" drive fitted as B:, was the drive's terminator removed/disabled ?

- Does everything work okay if the 5.25" drive is the only drive, fitted as A:, and has the terminator fitted/enabled, and the CMOS SETUP is configured accordingly ?

- Sometimes, it is discovered that the lubrication on a 5.25" drive's carriage rails has very significantly deteriorated over the years. See the 'Deteriorated lubrication' section of [here].

- Could it be that the 5.25" drive is a 360K one, not 1.2M ?
The drive is a Panasonic JU-475-4, which is 1.2M. If I connect the drive up by itself as A: it displays "Drive Failure". I made sure the terminator was correct also. I will just see if I can find another drive, and see if it works.

The new drive came in today, and the error does not appear. Thank you for your suggestions

Back