• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell Legend CD20 questions...

there's no real damage to the board, only the soldered battery that i took out (to prevent leakage of it), but the board seem to be fine.

Edit: the HDD in it is a Quantum Trailblazer tr84a011, 850mb. Here's a photo of my screen at the BIOS hard disk config.
View attachment 19793

Edit2: i noticed that everytime it reboot (after "saving changes"), it still give me an "ACFG" error, and when i go back in the BIOS, the HDD configuration is reset to 0/none. So does that mean that everytime it reboot, it forget the hard disk configuration??

Have you replaced the battery? Without a working battery, the configuration changes will not be saved. There should be an external battery connector on the motherboard. The documentation I linked to before claims that a 3V lithium is needed so you can make one out of a CR2032 button cell and holder. Holders that had the correct wires to go to the motherboard pins used to be common.

i don't have any soldering iron here.

But i find it strange because my PB Legend 125 computer, i took the battery out, but it will only lose setting if you shut it down, not when it's powered on.

But the thing is it doesn't forget the time, date, other settings...while powered on, but when i go back in the BIOS, the hard disk setting seem to be gone (it show "0 mb")

Last edited:
i don't have any soldering iron here.

But i find it strange because my PB Legend 125 computer, i took the battery out, but it will only lose setting if you shut it down, not when it's powered on.

But the thing is it doesn't forget the time, date, other settings...while powered on, but when i go back in the BIOS, the hard disk setting seem to be gone (it show "0 mb")

That is a problem. But it is either forgetting because of power loss which can be corrected by a replacement battery or the CMOS chip is no longer functional. Replacing the CMOS chip is much harder and more expensive. I would expect that if the CMOS does need replacing that the motherboard was damaged by a lightning strike and other components are also likely to fail soon.

There were battery holders that ended in the corrected wires and plug to attach to the connector on the motherboard. No soldering needed. I tried a few searches for them but didn't find any so you will have to try your own searches or ask at a local electronics supplier.

well...i unplugged this computer. At least i can always reuse the AT power supply, 486DX2 66Mhz processor, RAM and the other things somewhere else.

i took everything out but the cdrom, floppy and power supply. i'll try to put another 486 in there which use a riser card as well, the case is kinda too good to be thrown out just like this. i've put the empty motherboard in a bag for recycling.

Back