• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packing RL02 cartridges for transport

Bitly

Experienced Member
I'm preparing to move, and I need to box up ~25 RL02 cartridges. What is the best (correct?) way to package them? They aren't going to be shipped, but they will be loaded/unloaded by people that I suspect won't honor 'FRAGILE' markings.

My current plan is to buy some 16x16x12 double wall cardboard boxes from the jungle store, put 1/2" foam insulation on all six sides, and put 3/8" bubble wrap above/below each cartridge.

Comments? Concerns?

CW

Sounds reasonable. It takes a pretty serious shock to damage an RL pack, I have not seen one go bad in my 30+ years due to shocks. Pack in box, no more than 5 to a box with some foam between them and the sides and you should be fine.

If you have control over box orientation during transfers I suggest packing the cartridges vertically (on edge), the normal storage orientation. Not horizontal (flat) that is more susceptible to forces that might cause platter "sag". However dropped is still dropped, and who knows what the box orientation will be when the sudden deceleration occurs ...

If you have control over box orientation during transfers I suggest packing the cartridges vertically (on edge), the normal storage orientation. Not horizontal (flat) that is more susceptible to forces that might cause platter "sag". However dropped is still dropped, and who knows what the box orientation will be when the sudden deceleration occurs ...
I hadn't considered platter sag. I always assumed the on-edge storage was to fit more in a cabinet, but it make sense. Fortunately, they have been in a DEC RL02 cabinet for the last 20+ years.

CW

Hm. I have stored packs vertically, horizontally, diagonally, and in one case used one as a sled for the kids. None have had sag.

Back