• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Palmtops/subnotebooks?

MoonShadow

Experienced Member
Hi all.

Recently, I've been looking for a new computer to replace the failing shared laptop that I use. The problems with the shared laptop include:
- Windows (XP) is broken. There are no icons on the desktop (and I can't put new ones there) and there is no taskbar.
- The graphics card and driver are complete pieces of you-know-what.
- It's shared.
- It has only a 9 gigabyte hard drive. My friend has an MP3/4 player with more than double that.

I've been considering palmtops such as the HP Jornada 720 (Google it) and the i-mate Jasjar. PDAs (keyboardless) are not an option. A subnotebook would, I believe, be the best choice. Perhaps an older Toshiba Libretto, or anything with a screen smaller than 10" (device must be clamshell style).

Can anyone help me out here? Suggestions?

Just to avoid getting bashed, I know this isn't strictly about "retro" computers, but these would be used as an aid to my other (older) computers. Mods, please feel free to move this thread to the "Off Topic" section if you think necessary.

MoonShadow

I love my Libretto. She's my nearly-constant companion these days. The keyboard is pretty typable, although the keys are smaller and more closely-spaced than on some of my other palmtops. The right-shift key is the one that gives me the most trouble, as it is too small and out-of-place from what my pinkie is accostomed to. Other than that, it works great. The extended-capacity battery runs for a good three hours, and the standard battery should have about half the life. Try to get one with accessories tho (port rep, external drive, etc).

--T

Back