• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Parallel port

Fallo

Experienced Member
Yesterday, I got a parallel port on a mounting bracket for my 5150 (as it doesn't have a PP). It would connect to the AST Six-Pak, but I have two questions. Which direction does the ribbon cable attach to the card? Is it with the header connector facing upside-down or right-side up?

Secondly, according to:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/memory-cards/AST-RESEARCH-INC-Memory-Expansion-G-9-SIX-PAK-PLUS.html

...there's a jumper that enables the use of IRQ 7 by the parallel port. Is it necessary to enable it? I seem to remember vaguely that IRQ 7 isn't used for normal printing, just for ZIP drives and other things that use the parallel port (which can't be used here anyway, since the Six-Pak's PP isn't bidirectional).

To figure out the orientation, I'd just hook it up whichever way around is easiest and trace a few connections from the board to the port. Ground pins would probably be the easiest to check. If they don't check out, you've got it upside down.

To figure out the orientation, I'd just hook it up whichever way around is easiest and trace a few connections from the board to the port. Ground pins would probably be the easiest to check. If they don't check out, you've got it upside down.

Upon looking more closely, the header has an arrow molded on the top. I assume that means it's supposed to connected right-side up?

I may not be able to connect it immediately anyway, because I don't think I have any spare jumper caps to put on the card and enable the parallel port. I'll need to buy some first.

Back