• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC-Retro Design Files ( IBM 5150 Clone )

mmruzek

Experienced Member
Hello, I've decided to put the design files for the PC-Retro into the public domain. The PC-Retro is a faithful reproduction of the original IBM 5150. My business MTM Scientific, Inc sold kits to build this motherboard starting in 2012. Over time it has become increasingly difficult to source authentic parts at a reasonable price.

Here is a link to a zip file containing all the information for the PC-Retro, including the Gerber files. I would enjoy seeing what people do with these files, and how they might be used going forward. I want to also extend thanks to the VCF forum for all the assistance they have given me on this project over the years. Have fun!

Michael

Attachments

• PC-Retro Assembled.jpg
    PC-Retro Assembled.jpg
    941.7 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for this contribution. I will admit to looking longingly and not buying one when it was announced, but I admired the commitment to accuracy.

This seems like it could be a solid resource for debugging real 5150 mainboards-- it's probably easier to "walk" some parts of the PCB in KiCAD than to try to trace it on a traditional schematic document.

Hi @mmruzek. I had the privilege of buying the kit from you a couple of years ago and I'm still fully using it. I really appreciate this contribution to the community!

Is it my imagination, or in the picture, does RN2 have a 4264 DRAM in the socket?

Is it my imagination, or in the picture, does RN2 have a 4264 DRAM in the socket?
Yes it does! I must have filled that empty resistor network socket with whatever I had laying around to take the photo, while waiting for parts to arrive. Good catch!

I don't see the delay lines either, but the picture isn't super high resolution.

I don't see the delay lines either, but the picture isn't super high resolution.
As for TD2, the design substitutes a resistor in place of {TD2 + R11 + R12}, like as what was implemented early in the production life of the IBM 5160. Comparison shown at [here].
According to the 'IBM PC 5150 64-256kB System Board #1' photo at [here], some IBM 5150 motherboards are in scope too.

Back