• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC Sprint variants

A4000Bear

Experienced Member
I recently saw where someone had redesigned the layout of the PC-Sprint so that it could fit in his XT clone. From what I remember, the normal PC-Sprint fouled an ISA slot in his computer, so it was redesigned with a long, thin PCB, with the 8284 chips in line. Unfortunately, I had foolishly neglected to bookmark the link, and I have failed utterly in trying to search for it again. Is anyone familiar with this variant, or other versions of PC-Sprint that have a different layout?

I intend to add one to a Commodore-Amiga A1060 PC-XT Sidecar. Unfortunately, the standard PC-Sprint would foul both internal and external floppy connectors, as well as sticking out past the rear of the Sidecar motherboard by a couple of centimetres.

Below is an image of the appropriate section of the Sidecar, the 8284 chip is just to the right of the crystal in the centre of the picture. Since taking the picture, I have added a socket for the 8284.

Attachments

• Clock.jpg
    Clock.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Well, Murphy's law had kicked in. Literally minutes after I posted the original question, I found the link I was looking for. A youtube video by Epictronics
I'll include it here in case anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, it appears that his variant is also unsuitable, the two additional 8284s would extend past the rear of the Sidecar's motherboard. At least they don't foul the drive connectors. Looks like I'll have to try redesigning the PC-Sprint by flipping it 180 degrees.

If anyone is aware of any other variants with different physical layouts, I'd still be interested.

Last edited:
Back