• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC532 Gerber files

Hi

Thanks for posting the updated PC532 Gerbers. Much appreciated and its good they've been recovered.

Are you planning on reviving the PC532? I was considering it but decided the Bruce Culbertson NS32016 project seemed more feasible given the data available at the time. If Eagle can work backwards from the Gerbers then it may be a more suitable tool for the job. I had assumed it was going to be a complete respin/redesign of the board starting with the schematic. Its a huge project.

There is no problem with doing both projects in parallel though. It would be nice to have an NS32K renaissance to spice up that Intel/Motorola duopoly. Its the perfect application of retrocomputing hobby.

I have no interest in a NS 32532 project. I have way to many forks in the fondue atm. I was trying to help. And I just did a similar conversion of a set of Gerbers generated by a destructive copper scan of a 6-layer retrocomputing board. That board is turning out to be a very rewarding project and I saw the pc532 effort as an opportunity to practice/improve my conversion skills.

That being said, having the pc532 recaptured in a more modern tool (even a proprietary one), can't be a bad thing. I use Eagle professionally so I used it here. But at least the file format for both schematic and layout is an open XML form. It's a small step better than just having layout Gerbers and a schematic PostScript file of the old design. I'll post the EDA files after I finished the schematic re-capture and used it to cross-check the layout.

Thank you, I do appreciate your help. Converting and updating the PC532 Gerbers has been invaluable and I have no experience in it.

I didn't know you could reverse engineer a PCB from the Gerbers without a major re-engineering effort. Much appreciated!

Thanks, Andrew Lynh

Back