• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDOS/386 news

kerravon

Experienced Member
Hi.

PDOS/386 (at http://pdos.org) now supports (to some - for my use sufficient extent) the Win32, OS/2 2.0, Linux 386, 32-bit MSDOS (can be quibbled) and PDOS-generic APIs.

And I now provide a toolchain for those first 3 APIs so that you can rebuild gcc 3.2.3 with itself (or basically any C90-compliant compiler) and a simple makefile on any of those (ie first 3) major systems (or PDOS/386 itself running any of those executables).

I'm now thinking of creating a minimal Linux distro (I already do that with Freedos), with the intention of mounting the PDOS/386 disk Linux variant (search for Linux and get pdosl.zip - not pdos.zip) as a second disk.

So that you can reconstruct anything you want with this "starter system".

PDOS/386 itself fits on a 360k floppy with just the simple io.sys, pdos.sys and command.exe structure you are familiar with, while supporting all those APIs.

The OS/2 executables are all pure 32-bit BTW, including the microemacs 3.6 editor.

The OS and toolchain are all public domain except for gcc 3.2.3.

If anyone has the skills and interest to bring SubC (also on the disks - as native executables) up to C90 compliance so that I can switch from gcc to SubC (public domain), please let me know.

Note that a lot of people say that writing a C compiler is simple and can be whipped up in a few weekends or something, but I've seen a lot of good people fail trying to get there. I myself have failed even trying to fix bugs in SubC (because of the complex algorithms - which I assume I could understand given enough time, but it's extremely difficult for me). I don't even need full C90 - just enough to compile PDOS and its toolchain.

Back