• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP-11/20 runs UNIX V1 with UniBone devices

Joerg Hoppe

Experienced Member
Cool! :love: I missed this message completely because I changed to another school last year. I was pretty busy there leading to a complete stand still on my hobby... :unsure: But I have two fully working 11/20 machines, so I want to fire this up on one of them. :biggrin:

Henk,
Long time since we talked. I have a PDP-11/05 that had 16KW core memory and a UniBone that I exhibited at VCF SW in Dallas. About two weeks before the event the core started having errors. Fortunately I could just pull the core memory board and the UniBone emulated all of memory instead of half of it.

It is also so easy to run any operating system by ftping a disk image to the BeagleBone even while it’s at work emulating disks, memory and an extra DL-11. In RT-11 you can also ftp individual files to a shared directory that is also mirrored as an RL02 disk image. Transferring files to RT-11 was never easier !!!

Mark Matlock

I have a PDP-11/05 that had 16KW core memory and a UniBone that I exhibited at VCF SW in Dallas. About two weeks before the event the core started having errors. Fortunately I could just pull the core memory board and the UniBone emulated all of memory instead of half of it.
How funny! I had that *exact* thing happen to me at VCFW while showing off my 11/05 + ME11 running Mini-Unix. Worked flawlessly the first day; next day there's a stuck bit in one of the MM11s. I just disconnected the ME11 and emulated the missing 20KW. Unibone to the rescue!

Hi Mark,
indeed, time flies 🥴 Just one year to my retirement. Lots of plans for October, next year.
My 11/35 also has core issues. My guess is that environment temperature is one of the possible causes ...
Not yet, but I am pretty sure I will be buying a Unibone!

fantastic work as always joerg, josh, and co., thank you for all you do :)

Henk,
I hope your year to retirement goes quickly for you. I was able to retire at the end of 2019 and move to Canyon Lake, Texas. We'll have to catch up by email soon.
Best,
Mark

Back