• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Perhaps you folks could identify this.

Legodude522

Hey guys, new to the board. First post :) Used vintage computers for years.

Anyway, does anyone know what this is? It looks like some sort of cash/banking machine. It got credit card buttons on it. I was at my friend's house and picking through the old computers that were no use to him. He got a bunch of stuff in a shed that has been laying in there for years, lol. Anyway I left this one there in a safe spot. Should I grab it? I got enough computer parts around.
113845948_0fcd07b66d.jpg

113845947_1919c3c61a.jpg

113845945_f62face4f6.jpg

At first blush it looks like a fairly straightforward point of sale device.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Erik's assessment. It's just a fancy cash register. Maybe there are some interesting parts you could salvage, but unless you intend to be a cash register collector (or a "vintage computers in unique form factors" collector), then it probably isn't worth adopting.

You're in NJ huh -- check out our local club, MARCH -- that's Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists. Our very under-construction web site is www.midatlanticretro.org and the main thing you'll find is a link to our Yahoo discussion group. Our two current activities are 1.) we're building a computer museum in Wall Township, and 2.) we're hosting the Vintage Computer Festival East 3.0 at said museum, on Saturday, May 13.

As for your interests in vintage computers and PDAs, ever consider combining those interests, and collecting vintage PDAs? They go back a lot further than you might realize. So here's another commercial message: check out my history of PDAs site at http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm .... - Evan

It first I thought it was some kind of video terminal, but now that you mention it, it does look like a register. Yeah Jeff, if you haven't already joined MARCH, do so. I'm sick of being the only teen involved :p

mobilemaster said:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I agree with Erik's assessment. It's just a fancy cash register. Maybe there are some interesting parts you could salvage, but unless you intend to be a cash register collector (or a "vintage computers in unique form factors" collector), then it probably isn't worth adopting.

You're in NJ huh -- check out our local club, MARCH -- that's Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists. Our very under-construction web site is www.midatlanticretro.org and the main thing you'll find is a link to our Yahoo discussion group. Our two current activities are 1.) we're building a computer museum in Wall Township, and 2.) we're hosting the Vintage Computer Festival East 3.0 at said museum, on Saturday, May 13.

As for your interests in vintage computers and PDAs, ever consider combining those interests, and collecting vintage PDAs? They go back a lot further than you might realize. So here's another commercial message: check out my history of PDAs site at http://www.snarc.net/pda/pda-treatise.htm .... - Evan
Hi, thanks. I'll join. I'm friends with USSEnterprise. Trust me, I know PDAs and have a big interest in anything retro. I got Tandy 1000, 1987 IBM PC [in parts now], IBM P70 "Luggable", Compaq LTE Lite 23E, and others...

I love PDAs. My current device is a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 which is Linux embeded.
103934730_804b502544_m.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legodude522

Back