• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Philips P3302 problem

Well, so the news are:
Firstly, I started with an inspection to the motherboard and all the tantalum and aluminum electrolytic capacitors seemed to be good.

As I had the computer turned off for several months, I opened the power supply. There was no sign of dust (happened the same in the motherboard): seems like it wasn't turn on a lot. I found out a aluminum electrolytic capacitor that had some strange stains that disappeared when I cleaned it with my finger.

DSC00128.jpg

I found out another aluminum electrolytic capacitor that wasn't straight, but I couldn't take a pic.
Finally, I removed the floppy and the hard drive (remaining connected the motherboard and the VGA card) and turned on the power supply. Everything happened as I said before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7X8d1l_KE

So I unplugged everything, remaining the power source at work and (I think) the fan had an odd behavior.

What do you think about this? Ah, and please, could you tell me how to do a clip test to a AT power supply?
Thank you for all the attention.

PS: the image that is attached at the end was a mistake, and I couldn't took it off.

Attachments

• DSC00131.jpg
    DSC00131.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I switched all cables off the power supply and turned on the energy cable from the disk to the IDE. When I turned on the PSU, it worked and the disk started to spin. Thinking that it would also work, I switch off the cable from this disk to the computer's one ("Micropolis SCSI 170MB"). The PSU worked normally as the disk but after 5 sec, I heard a blast and then smoke came out from the disk (a lot).
Do you think I can repair this disk?

Thanks for the attention.

I found out a aluminum electrolytic capacitor that had some strange stains that disappeared when I cleaned it with my finger.
I looked at the photo. I think the black circles are dust/dirt that have come in via the holes in the power supply's metal case.

Finally, I removed the floppy and the hard drive (remaining connected the motherboard and the VGA card) and turned on the power supply. Everything happened as I said before.
If you then remove the VGA card, and see that the power supply fan turns, then that would suggest that the VGA card is faulty.

So I unplugged everything, remaining the power source at work and (I think) the fan had an odd behavior.
We do not expect that to work. Power supplies for personal computers normally need something connected to them. If nothing is connected, they either do not start, or they do 'strange' things,

Ah, and please, could you tell me how to do a clip test to a AT power supply?
I do not know what that is.

I switched all cables off the power supply and turned on the energy cable from the disk to the IDE. When I turned on the PSU, it worked and the disk started to spin.
So the motherboard and VGA card were not connected to the power supply. That suggests that the motherboard or the VGA card is faulty.

Thinking that it would also work, I switch off the cable from this disk to the computer's one ("Micropolis SCSI 170MB"). The PSU worked normally as the disk but after 5 sec, I heard a blast and then smoke came out from the disk (a lot). Do you think I can repair this disk?
Look at the drive's electronics. You may see the faulty component. I have seen a few IDE drives produce smoke, and the cause has been an exploded tantalum capacitor. They are typically drives that have not been used for years.

bad_tantulum_2.jpgbad_tantulum_3.jpg

Could you post a picture of the P3302? My first PC was a P3238 and I am curious what the P3302 looks like. Thanks.

This is the P3238 featured in a magazine: http://www.clive.nl/files/imagecache/large/images/24809.jpg
This is the P3238 featured in another magazine: http://openatlantis.mijnstadmijndor...hlightQueryParams=&InitFactor=6&bestandsnaam=
This is the P3238 MOBO: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...5Gg4nn3VJuTCutuhZ7UNCu4B0ocZy90reFVIdN1CQ8waB

I am still looking for a P3238. I contacted a few people who own it already but no luck so far.

The Philips PC386 User Guide for the P3302

The Philips PC386 User Guide for the P3302

I have also a P3302 (because I used to work at Philips Data Systems in Apeldoorn).

If I start the P3302 I get the same problem.

I am interested how you managed to get the P3302 running in DOS.
I do not have a DOS diskette for thr P3302, so I am interested to get one from you or hear from you what I should do to make one.

In return I can send you a copy of the PC386 User Guide which contains a lot of information on the dip switch settings.

Back