• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Photo's of EGA screens

Mark2000

Experienced Member
I'm trying to buy a 286 with an EGA display in the marketplace section, but that's starting to look unlikely. My main need for the system is research on how an EGA monitor displays it's pixels - the textures and color quality. I had one of these machines in my youth and I'm hoping to make paintings that mimic the display quality as closely as possible. So, the favor I'm asking of you proud EGA display owners: I'd like photographs of the actual screen operating. Some with text, others with ANSI graphics, others with some game footage. I'm looking for some macro/close up photos of the screen, and some from a viewer's distance. Mostly I'd like shots from about 5-6 inches away. Any help is appreciated and I'd love to share what I'm working on with the community as it develops.

I have an IBM Enhanced Color Display, but sadly I don't have a camera that isn't garbage. I can tell you that, as with all the IBM displays I've seen, the pixel boundaries are quite sharp - not quite cut-yourself-and-bleed sharp like monochrome Mac displays, but very good. Color quality is also pretty decent - you'll need an actual EGA and not a CGA/Tandy to get properly saturated bright colors, but that's the fault of the standard 16-color palette, not the monitor.

I've got a couple of machines w/EGA disolays. Maybe I can get some pics of what you want.

Where are you located? I've got a multisync for sale and it does EGA like a champ.

Thanks, Stone. But I would probably need a dedicated EGA display, not something that does VGA too since a VGA capable monitor would have a completely different dot pitch. Its the specific look of a mid eighties EGA screen I'm after, warts and all.

Last edited:
Thanks, Stone. But I would probably need a dedicated EGA display, not something that does VGA too since a VGA capable monitor would have a completely different dot pitch. Its the specific look of a mid eighties EGA screen I'm after, warts and all.
Really? What dot pitch are you looking for?

If you post your location you may get lucky and a local forum member might have one available :)

I'm in San Francisco. I'd be willing to travel most places in the bay area to buy. But if anyone has one I can just shoot some pictures of San Francisco proper would be better.

I had one of these machines in my youth and I'm hoping to make paintings that mimic the display quality as closely as possible.

Man - that sounds just like an idea I got a couple of days ago (more CGA than EGA, but in the same realm). :D
Unfortunately I cannot help with photos, but I'd love to see what you come up with if you do. Hope you can get some nicely detailed photos, complete with nice fat low-res scanlines and shadowmask phosphor dots.

Back