• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picking up a Sun Enterprise 450. Sorta.

linuxlove

Veteran Member

I found this thing on eBay last night, so I'm working on buying it. Why would I buy such a thing? I dunno, it was cheap and I like big servers, especially if they're noisy.

Anyway... It's got a single hard drive (appears to be 8GB), two UltraSPARC II processors running at 300MHz and an ATI Rage IIc. It does not have any RAM, so I'll need to source some from someone eventually. That's the least of my problems though.

I looked up this system in some old Sun documentation. Apparently, when fully configured (which this is not, but still) it weighs in at 205 pounds. Although I have means of getting something that heavy into my house, getting it to my house is the big problem. See, the thing is in Michigan. I have a friend up there who is willing to pick it up for me, but I still have the issue of getting it to my house.

So, I need a bunch of RAM for this thing and I also need to find a way of getting it down to my house. Any suggestions?

Can you take it apart so it is easily movable (easier to grab as well)? The weight can get crazy with up to 19 hard drives and 3 power supplies but you said it was stock so I don't think it weighs as much

Configured the way you describe, it probably weighs 2/3rds or less of its fully loaded weight. I transferred an Apple Network Server, which is of similar dimensions and weighs about 110 lbs, in the back seat of my car. It did help that the ANS has wheels, but a piano/furniture dolly will solve that problem.

Back