• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Picture Size

g4ugm

Veteran Member
Would it be possible to have larger pictures. I was trying to post a picture of a mod to my SCSI2SD card and no matter what I do, if its small enough upload its too small to see the thin wires i wantde to point out. The same happens to many other posts, you can't read the numbers on ICs, can't assess condition.

Is storage on this platform so expensive that 256k is all we can afford? You can just about fit three that size on a 720k floppy.....

Use one of the dozens of free image hosting sites and link them in your post with

they don't always remain free. Look at all the number of image sites that have gone and old posts that are now missing images. I used to use flikr but can't because I have 1000 images..

If you're worried about free hosts disappearing, use a paid image hosting service. But keep in mind that those too aren't perpetual, many paid hosting sites have gone by the wayside over the course of internet history too.

You can also always self host images, setting up an apache/nginx/IIS webserver isn't terribly difficult, and can be run on something like a raspberry pi with FTP access to add/remove images.

If you're worried about free hosts disappearing, use a paid image hosting service. But keep in mind that those too aren't perpetual, many paid hosting sites have gone by the wayside over the course of internet history too.

You can also always self host images, setting up an apache/nginx/IIS webserver isn't terribly difficult, and can be run on something like a raspberry pi with FTP access to add/remove images.

These all seem to me to be an great argument for allowing larger images on the Forums. What I am worried about is not my images, but images from others, who put them on free image sharing sites, which may go away, and so render their posts un-readable. This has already happened. Many old posts are useless because the images have gone. Why when surely a bit more disk space wouldn't cost a fortune.

There was already a thread where larger images were lobbied for, and approved. The forum supports images up to 1280x width and up to 256KB in size. That's usually enough; here's a sample I just now did:

IMG_20200618_212052 (Medium).jpg

The trick to posting images on this forum is to edit and size your images appropriately before posting. The forum will automatically resize and re-compress any image file larger than 256k or in excess of some X*Y resolution (I forget what that is set at now). Make sure your file fits in that before uploading. It sometimes gets things wrong when it has to automatically resize, especially with PNG files. If you need to show some specific detail, crop the image around that detail, and use multiple attachments if needed.

The forum will automatically resize and re-compress any image file larger than 256k

Is that still the case? I can't upload with the Insert Image icon (there's no ok/submit button on the dialog I see), I have to use Manage Attachments, which rejects anything over 256K.

There was already a thread where larger images were lobbied for, and approved. The forum supports images up to 1280x width and up to 256KB in size. That's usually enough; here's a sample I just now did:

View attachment 61771

Thank you. That image illustrates the point perfectly. You can't see the date codes or legends on the chips. Yes you can post several images, but doesn't that defeat the object of a small image size?

Counterpoint: If seeing the date codes or legends on the chips were important, I would have taken closer pictures anyway (and did, when a forum member needed that info). You don't document boards with a single photo.

Something that exists on the old NerfHaven forum, which has proven (at least partially) successful is a crawler, which wanders the posts, looking for off-board images, and archiving them. So when you come across a post with dead image links, you can click up on the "image archive" button in the top-right, and a lot of the old images ARE in there.
Now, I'm no expert on this, I have no experience with administering a forum, so I have no idea: could something like that be effectively used on this board? And if so, would it be better at all than increasing max image size, and keeping images on-board in the first place?

I don't see how that would be better, since the forum would be storing all of the full-size pictures anyway (unless you had an off-forum archival storage site in mind).

I don't know what kind of storage space VCF has on the server, but 5-10MB attachments have been the norm for a long time. Those numbers with no image dimension restrictions would allow posting of large schematics without them getting mangled.

256k is far too limiting, we're not in the early 2000s with 8 bit GIF images anymore. Even with a lossy format like JPG, there's no way to make a 1280x1024 image (the current size limit) under 256k without heavily mangling it by cutting the quality way down.

Back