• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PIPing a File Between Two Machines

glitch

Veteran Member
Now that I've got two CP/M-80 machines up and running, I've had a chance to play around with a thought: sending files between CP/M machines with no terminal software using PIP. Both my Kaypro II and the Apple IIe with Microsoft SoftCard apparently have their IOBYTE set so that RDR: and PUN: are attached to the serial controllers. PIP PUN:=A:TEST.TXT with a null modem cable between the two results in a textfile showing up on the IIe if I've got terminal software running.

My question is, how does one set the baud rate on a machine if you don't have terminal software? It's not a problem with the Kaypro II since the CP/M distribution comes with BAUD.COM to set the baudrate for TERM.COM. The distribution for the Z80 SoftCard has no such utility though.

I know I can write a short Assembly program to talk to the serial chip and set baud rate, but I was wondering if there was a default set for CP/M. Eventually, I want to use this method to send files to/from my NEC APC so that I can get a proper terminal program assembled.

I recall this being set up under the Apple settings. My Apple II with CP/M card isn't set up right now or I'd check for you. But what comes to mind is that I had to have the settings made on the Apple before I booted under CP/M.

Some boards set the rate with dip switches rather than in software. I guess if you don't know the rate for one machine, but on the other you can change it, then work through all the possible rates until something meaningful comes through. 1200 and 9600 might be a place to start.

Some boards set the rate with dip switches rather than in software. I guess if you don't know the rate for one machine, but on the other you can change it, then work through all the possible rates until something meaningful comes through. 1200 and 9600 might be a place to start.

That's what I ended up doing. The IIe initializes its Super Serial Card to 300 baud, which is interesting because I have the DIP switches set to 9600 for ADTPro bootstrapping. With my Smart Cable plugged onto the serial port, you can see that CP/M actually initializes the ACIA before it drops you to the A> prompt...so I'm guessing that it's being set by software, too.

Back