• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PiSCSI / how to mount the CD-ROM drive under Solaris 2.6?

MindWalker

Experienced Member
Hi.

I am trying to use a PiSCSI device to emulate an external SCSI drive on my Sparcstation 4 to use ISO images of software for the machine. I have correct cable + adapter to connect them together, the termination is on on the PiSCSI and if I mount a disc (with the correct block size of 512) I can see the CD-ROM drive listed in probe-scsi under SCSI ID 6.

However I can't get it mounting under Solaris 2.6. It's not coming up under /cdrom by itself (AFAIK the volume manager should do it automatically) and if I try to mount manuall using commands like mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s0 (in either /cdrom or /mnt/cdrom etc) it says no such file or directory.

If I look at /dev/dsk (OR /dev/rdsk) there are only files referring to the SCSI ID 3 (the system drive):
Bash:
# ls /dev/rdsk
c0t3d0s0  c0t3d0s1  c0t3d0s2  c0t3d0s3  c0t3d0s4  c0t3d0s5  c0t3d0s6  c0t3d0s7

whereas I believe the CD drive should be c0t6, so the system doesn't appear to see it at all?

What am I missing? :geek: (I know I can make a .tar archive, move it over by ftp and untar it, but I am a bit short on space and also this is somewhat slow)

Solaris doesn't auto config devices so it doesn't know there's a cd drive there. Reboot the system with "boot disk -r".

Thanks, I had no idea! Now I have the entries for c0t6.... under /dev/dsk.

The vold is still not auto-mounting (if I restart it manually, I sometimes see "fatal: mounting of "/vol" failed") but at least now I can mount discs manually with "mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /cdrom" - this already helps!

You can use the command volcheck to look for new media but IDK if it works on cdrom. Does PiSCSI not send the media changed message when you change the file?

Back