• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Point and Click Adventure Games from the late 90's

EverStaR

Experienced Member
I remember fondly several from this erra and early 2000's.

SIERRA had many, kings quest, space quest, leisure suit Larry to name some.
Lucas Arts, Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and more
Cinemaware, Rocket Ranger, Wings, it came from the desert, more
The Longest Journey, and the whole series, epic!
The legend of Kyrandia, and series, so fun!

many had cool sound that exploited advanced sound cards, midi, Mt32, sound fonts, etc.

what were your favs?

 E

I always preferred LucasArts games over Sierra because you don't die if you mess up.

I always preferred LucasArts games over Sierra because you don't die if you mess up.
Exactly that. I never understood how a game in which you can die whenever doing something "wrong" could even be called an adventure. An adventure is about exploration and trying things to get further, not to die 10 times per screen before finding the solution. Like in Larry 1: go to the left, you die. Go to the right, you die. Why does the game even start in front of a strip club if all you can do is enter it anyway? It could very well just start inside from the outset.

I respect that many people love the Sierra games, but they never attracted me at all. Especially the limitation of the early engines in terms of graphics (low-res, 16 colors) was just ridiculous, as it was not able to scale with the power of better systems (e.g. Gold Rush looks as shitty on the Amiga as it did on the C64).

So I played the LucasArts games. Also The Legend of Kyrandia Part 1 and 2 (skipped 3, as I did not like the plot and graphics), Beneath a Steel Sky, Simon the Sorcerer.

Last edited:
Exactly that. I never understood how a game in which you can die whenever doing something "wrong" could even be called an adventure. An adventure is about exploration and trying things to get further, not to die 10 times per screen before finding the solution. Like in Larry 1: go to the left, you die. Go to the right, you die. Why does the game even start in front of a strip club if all you can do is enter it anyway? It could very well just start inside from the outset.

So I played the LucasArts games. Also The Legend of Kyrandia Part 1 and 2 (skipped 3, as I did not like the plot and graphics), Beneath a Steel Sky, Simon the Sorcerer.

Hehehe, yes, very annoying to die 20 times every time you sat down to play.

I remember vaguely remember beneath a steel sky, might have to look that one up again!

I respect that many people love the Sierra games, but they never attracted me at all. Especially the limitation of the early engines in terms of graphics (low-res, 16 colors) was just ridiculous, as it was not able to scale with the power of better systems (e.g. Gold Rush looks as shitty on the Amiga as it did on the C64).

Finding all the ways to die is fun in itself. I love all the silly deaths Sierra came up with. It gave the games extra challenge and immersion. As for what an adventure game is supposed to be about, that's just your opinion. In my opinion, if death is not a possibility, it isn't really an adventure. And those old EGA graphics are charming.

Unless you play the whole game without saving, you haven't really died though. So it becomes an exercise in managing save games. This isn't unique to Sierra of course. For me, it's more fun when I don't have to worry about when I should save, or if I'm overwriting a save I might need later.

Back