• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

(POLL) What kind of monochrome monitor do you prefer?

(POLL) What kind of monochrome monitor do you prefer?

• Total voters
Would it be possible to somehow convert the VGA signal into a signal that the MDA monitor can read? like a VGA to Hercules adapter or something?

Not simply; MDA uses an 18KHz sync versus VGA's 31KHz sync, and standard resolution is 720x350 - nothing at all like standard VGA resolutions. You'd have to have an intermediary device that digitizes VGA frames, resizes and converts to monochrome, and then sends the resulting picture out to the monitor. That kind of thing can be done (see the various CGA->VGA adapters,) but it's a bit of a project.

Not simply; MDA uses an 18KHz sync versus VGA's 31KHz sync, and standard resolution is 720x350 - nothing at all like standard VGA resolutions. You'd have to have an intermediary device that digitizes VGA frames, resizes and converts to monochrome, and then sends the resulting picture out to the monitor. That kind of thing can be done (see the various CGA->VGA adapters,) but it's a bit of a project.

Hmm, i bet there would be imput lag with that method.. Well, theres got to be SOME use for this monitor, do you think its possible to use a hercules card on a new computer?

I've seen ISA slots all the way up to late Athlon boards, but I don't know how many modern BIOSes support ISA video cards, let alone MDA modes. Still, you never know. Maybe I'll try that in mine...

I've seen ISA slots all the way up to late Athlon boards, but I don't know how many modern BIOSes support ISA video cards, let alone MDA modes. Still, you never know. Maybe I'll try that in mine...
Let me know if it works!

Back