• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Possible sale TRS-80 Model IV Gate Array 128k

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Just wondering what would the going price be with this system. Have all orginal TRS-DOS disks plus some extras. Also the TRS-DOS 6 DOS and BASIC manual in a nice brown binder. Please do realise this thing is heavy. Both disks work fine as well. As a Gate Array it has the Green screen not the B/W one. So give me an idea please.

Do you know if these disks (from your TRS-80 Model IV) works on a TRS-80 Model III?

I think that a complete system like yours is worth at least $300.

I think the disks work, as they share the same controller.
I don't think TRSDOS 6 works, since it switches the 4 into 80x24 display mode, and also treats the entire address space as RAM. The III had BASIC lurking at low RAM, which also meant you couldn't run CP/M on a III out of the box. (On the IV, if memory serves, you could)
patscc

As patscc said no. I do have a bunch of model III disks as well. When you boot a M III disk in a Model IV the IV switches in the M III ROMS and boots the M III program. In M IV mode it is an all RAM machine. And yes it can boot CP/M as well. Which I have too it was made by Montezuma Micro. Most of the software I have I downloaded from TRS-80.COM when Ira was still allowing users to do that. Then the whole copyright thing kicked in. Thanks to Disney. Now you can't get the disks from his site. But if you email him he will make a disk of most anything he has for a small contribution.

Differnce between Gate array and Non gtae array model IV.

The Gate array model IV has the disk controller and RS-232 board integrated into the main board. Has the arrow keys on the keyboard clustered together.
And a lot of functions are controlled by Gate chips. Basically big GAL/PAL ROM chips. Always had a Green screen. Only available as a disk based system.
As far as I can remember. Oh and RS-232 connector facing out the back.

The Non-Gate array has the mainboard by itself and the Disk controller and the RS-232 board are seperate entities and plug into the mainboard by way of flex cables and have small 4 pin molex cables for power. The arrow keys are seperated as 2 on the left side and 2 on the right. Typically had a B/W screen. This model came in many styles including diskless with only 16k RAM casette based.

FWI: The Model IV NGA disk and RS-232 boards are the same ones used in the Model III. So they are interchageable.

Oh Lucas. $300.00 is in the range I was thinking. Maybe + or - a small amount

Last edited:
Wanting to sell it: Asking $300.00 shipped includes all the above items plus all disks I have for it. Also Have The Hardware manual in brown binder as well.
Only selling cause I need the money so please if possible buy it!!!!

You could always try an auction on vcgm and set a reserve. Not sure what happens here, lots of interest but perhaps too many folks already have one or too many budgets are sunk these days.

Back