• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Posting Issue

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
I have a procedure written in LibreOffice which has 777 words or 5061 characters. The VCF "Post Thread" says there is a limit of 10,000 words when I attempt to post. What am I doing wrong and I do to fix it so I can post?

I've seen this before. If the text you're pasting has formatting, then the forum will attempt to replace the formatting (for example bold formatted text) with BB Codes. The issue comes because character count includes the expanded BB Code.

I've seen this before. If the text you're pasting has formatting, then the forum will attempt to replace the formatting (for example bold formatted text) with BB Codes. The issue comes because character count includes the expanded BB Code.
So, are you suggesting that I use a simple text format or maybe MS WordPad?

If it displays ok w/o formatting, then plain text. Or you could split it up into multiple posts in a single thread.
There is no problem with the manner in which it displays. It's a simple cut and paste. Can you escalate?

Thanks Alex:

I just went ahead and did a text format posting and that worked out okay less the accents,
Yeah, when pasting things into a forum post here, always paste it in as plain text (either right click and select that option, or paste into Notepad, then copy from there). Weird things happen when Xenforo tries to translate the hidden formatting tags from other programs, especially with word count.

For anyone following this thread now or in the future, If you'd like to see the extra formatting codes that are eating up your character count, paste the content into a post, then click the square brackets to the left of the Preview button on the post. This will reveal the extra characters that push it over the limit.

Show Extra Codes.JPG

Yeah, when pasting things into a forum post here, always paste it in as plain text (either right click and select that option, or paste into Notepad, then copy from there). Weird things happen when Xenforo tries to translate the hidden formatting tags from other programs, especially with word count.
I might should have figured out that the formatting codes would probably east up the character count. I was going by the count at the bottom of the document page.

Back