• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Power Macintosh 5400 "Upgrades"

kvanderlaag

Experienced Member
Since I guess this computer is too new to qualify as vintage, it goes here, but I couldn't think of any other forum to ask this on. In fact, I might have posted it somewhere once before, but in any case I couldn't find the thread.

The story is this: When I bought my SE/30 and my Plus, the guy who sold them to me had an enormous collection of Macs. I later came back to see if he could hook me up with something that was convenient, running, reliable, and could make disks for the other two machines in question. What I ended up with was a Power Macintosh (Performa) 5400/180, and a Power Macintosh 7200/120 (Desktop).

The 7200 ended up getting a Voodoo 3 and a G3 upgrade daughterboard, I think it's 300 or 333 MHz now. However, my curiosity was piqued by the 5400, since I've always liked the all-in-ones, and this one is pretty capable, with built-in Ethernet, and I like that you can just pop it down on a desk and go.

Through a local shop, I found a bunch of old Power Mac mainboards, out of various systems with various processors, for $4 each. I wasn't about to say no. What I salvaged out of the lot was a 5400/200 Motherboard (I think) and a 5500/250 motherboard (most definitely). To my delight, the 200 MHz mainboard was perfectly happy, once equipped with the mounting tabs and cards and RAM from my existing 5400/120, to slide on in and provide a 20 MHz speed boost.

The 5400 has the 250 MHz processor AND the ATI Rage2 on-board, so I figured I'd try the hell out of that, because how awesome would it be to be able to play Unreal Tournament on a 5400? When properly installed, the board will power up and even boot, and it was happy to let me putter around on the desktop. System Profiler reports the ATI chip, and the 250 MHz processor, but after a while, or when trying to run anything graphically demanding, the system will freeze. More often now, it'll actually freeze when trying to boot, or not boot at all.

This sounds like heat, to me, but I'm also noticing some stuff isn't in the same physical location on the 5500 board as the 5400 board - does anyone have any insight as to whether these two boards should be swappable? I did stick a heatsink on the graphics chipset on the 5400, and the heatsink on the CPU is complete with fan.

Back