• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Power supply issues

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
Recently *two days ago*, my 1 kilowatt power supply finally bought the farm, and getting into it, all the caps were bulged, and it looks like one of the line filters was shot *all black with melted plastic and the one next to it was stock yellow*. I was clued to this simply because it stopped giving my 5v standby, so while it would run the computer, it wouldn't allow the machine to start.

My solution

305w ATX power supply, running all my internal components and an secondary 350 supply from a server, it was rarely used as it was the redundant supply, but for some reason, it has no motherboard connector, just 30 molex type. Anyhow, the 350 is powering my GTX660 by itself, so i'm running my main machine with 2 supplies.

I have a few questions.

1) How long can i run safely in this setup, neither supply is above half output by much, both are maybe at 60% capacity at most.,
2) The original supply is 8 years old, is it worth attempting to repair?
3) The server supply has a 4 second delay before it shuts off, where as the 305 main is instant off once the order is given. How can i shut down my computer with both of these supplies active. Will keeping the pci-e power plug online after the rest of the machine is off, even for that small delay, hurt the video card?

Back