• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Premier 6800 laptop

Hello, new member here!

I was recently gifted with a "Premier Innovations" laptop computer, model 6800. I'd never heard of the brand before, and near as I can tell, it's the early 90s equivalent of the cheap Chinese tablets of today. That's not to say it is junk, far from it, but the construction isn't nearly as robust as what I'm used to from that time period. Still better built than a modern laptop however. :cool:

Even better, it came with the original carrying case, manual, and even the box it came in!

It has a 386SX-16 processor, 2MB of RAM, a 40MB HDD, and a black and white display. The only connections besides a very odd power connector are a VGA connector, two serial ports, and one parallel port that is apparently also used for an optional external disk.

Comes with MS-DOS 5.0 which is still installed, as well as a copy of Windows 3.0, Norton Commander, Norton Utilities, WordStar 2000, and some simple Windows games which came free with Verbatim disks.

Ideally I'd like to be able to move a few files back and forth over serial, but I'm at a loss on how to get this thing to "talk" to my Win7 PC, or even if it is possible. I found my old null modem cable but I haven't used it in probably 15 years so I'm not exactly on top of these things anymore. :)

Figured I would share a few photos and thoughts, for anyone interested.

DSC00100.jpg

The box and everything in it, minus the two standard AC power cables it came with. (Like I needed more of those!)

DSC00101.jpg

Looks like this might be a null modem cable, but I'm not entirely sure as there was a lot of proprietary weirdness going on with some of the early notebook computers if I remember right. I've never seen this configuration however, as a Y cable with two DB9 ends splitting from one DB25. One side is a lot shorter though, and has some corrosion on it.

DSC00103.jpg

This notebook actually came with a carrying case. It's a cheap case, but free is free right? Doubly so in this case, since I paid nothing for it. :)

DSC00107.jpg

Remember when computer boxes made a big deal about the specs? These days the specs are printed in a tiny legalese font on a sticker smaller than the shipping label. I do disagree about the claims of a "paper white display", unless the paper they compared it to was that of an old newspaper left out in the rain.

DSC00108.jpg

Front of the box.

DSC00116.jpg

Since I've never heard of the brand before, I have a suspicion it might be a private label, obviously for Office Max since that's where it came from. The store is still there too, in fact I bought something there not that long ago. Wonder what they would say if I tried to return it? :rolleyes:

DSC00117.jpg

Notebook in closed position. Side note, I've always wondered this: what it is people velcro to their laptops? In all my years I've never once had the impulse to velcro something to my laptop, but virtually every secondhand laptop I've come across has had at least one strip of velcro on it somewhere. This one has two.

DSC00118.jpg

Notebook open. The keyboard on this thing is actually very nice. It's no Model M, but it beats all of the modern laptop keyboards I've come across by a wide margin. The positioning of the cursor keys are the only weak point.

DSC00120.jpg

Side view, showing 1.44MB floppy drive, power switch, and battery access door. Also another piece of velcro.

DSC00121.jpg

Two serial ports and one parallel, sadly the door is missing. :(

DSC00124.jpg

The other side, focusing on the VGA port cover, complete with a 90s coffee stain.

DSC00126.jpg

The cover doesn't slide off or flip open, it just pops off with a fingernail. That little detail gave me my first indication that I wasn't exactly dealing with a high quality product.

DSC00128.jpg

Bottom view.

A few more pics:

DSC00135.jpg

The power supply is a monster. Below it is the power supply for my current laptop for comparison purposes.

DSC00139.jpg

Booting up...

DSC00144.jpg

Ready to rock at the C: prompt!

That's a pretty nice example of a 386 laptop, looks like pretty typical build of the time, that's to say a whole lot more beefy than modern ones ;-)

Looks like this might be a null modem cable, but I'm not entirely sure as there was a lot of proprietary weirdness going on with some of the early notebook computers if I remember right. I've never seen this configuration however, as a Y cable with two DB9 ends splitting from one DB25. One side is a lot shorter though, and has some corrosion on it.

Is the DB25 connector female? That's probably a variant of those 'universal' null-modem cables, which are designed so you can use either a 9 or 25 pin serial port... they're sometimes also called Laplink serial cables (though that's not really accurate since the 'true' Laplink used the parallel port).

That's a pretty nice example of a 386 laptop, looks like pretty typical build of the time, that's to say a whole lot more beefy than modern ones ;-)

Very true! It's funny, because while I get the impression this was a "cheap" laptop of its day, it's still a lot better built than anything modern. That goes the same for a lot of things, I have 75-100 year old furniture in my home, and yet I find myself buying a new computer chair every 3-5 years because some substandard welding job fails.

Is the DB25 connector female? That's probably a variant of those 'universal' null-modem cables, which are designed so you can use either a 9 or 25 pin serial port... they're sometimes also called Laplink serial cables (though that's not really accurate since the 'true' Laplink used the parallel port).

It is a female connector, and I believe you are correct. Last night I found a serial transfer program in the root directory of the C drive, which leads me to believe that's exactly what it is. I've never seen a version that didn't have both connectors at both ends though, but this could have been a "value" version that left off one of the connectors as a cost saving measure. Cabling used to be hideously overpriced, I remember my parents having to buy a new computer AC power cable and it was ridiculous, if memory serves it was $25 or more.

Ideally I'd like to be able to move a few files back and forth over serial, but I'm at a loss on how to get this thing to "talk" to my Win7 PC, or even if it is possible.
You could use 1.44M diskettes. The laptop has a 1.44M drive, and you could get a USB 1.44M drive for your Win7 computer.

Ideally I'd like to be able to move a few files back and forth over serial, but I'm at a loss on how to get this thing to "talk" to my Win7 PC, or even if it is possible.
If your Win7 computer has a serial port, then you could use your serial Laplink cable (that is what it looks/sounds like to me) and the procedure [here] to do transfers via Laplink 3 (a DOS program).

On your Win7 computer, you will be running Laplink 3 within DOSBox software.
The procedure will 'push' Laplink 3 down to your DOS based laptop, and then you'll be running Laplink 3 at both ends.
Note that, as commented on in the procedure, the use of a motherboard based serial port in my Win7 computer worked, but the use of a 'USB to Serial adapter' did not.

If your Win7 computer has a serial port, then you could use your serial Laplink cable (that is what it looks/sounds like to me) and the procedure [here] to do transfers via Laplink 3 (a DOS program).

On your Win7 computer, you will be running Laplink 3 within DOSBox software.
The procedure will 'push' Laplink 3 down to your DOS based laptop, and then you'll be running Laplink 3 at both ends.
Note that, as commented on in the procedure, the use of a motherboard based serial port in my Win7 computer worked, but the use of a 'USB to Serial adapter' did not.

Thank you! That was precisely the kind of information I was looking for, but had a little trouble finding what I needed on the web, probably because I didn't know to search for "Laplink".

I'm lucky in that my modern computers motherboard actually has a serial header, which I was surprised to find. In fact I had already ordered a USB to serial cable, assuming it didn't have one. A friend of mine into amateur radio told me a while back that some of the USB to serial adapters on the market have counterfeit chips, resulting in buggy, erratic behavior, or simply not working at all. Hopefully the one I ordered is genuine, but after finding the header I ordered a DB9 port and bracket kit, so I'll probably use that anyway.

I do have a USB floppy drive, and that's how I've been moving data so far. I was just looking for a more automatic way to move files. I also dug out my old parallel port Zip drive, so I was able double the storage and then some, as well as provide a convenient method of backup.

A friend of mine into amateur radio told me a while back that some of the USB to serial adapters on the market have counterfeit chips, resulting in buggy, erratic behavior, or simply not working at all.
My USB to serial adapter must be okay because it works well using the FastLynx procedure at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/transfer.htm
But note that in that procedure, I had to drop the serial port baud down to 38,400 baud before both ends connected.

The Laplink procedure I pointed to 'pushes' Laplink 3 down to the 'old' computer over the Laplink cable, and then Laplink 3 at both ends automatically attempt a Laplink to Laplink connection. But I figure that that connection attempt is done at the highest possible baud, and that is why it 'falls over' when using the USB to serial adapter.
Because you are able to get Laplink 3 to your laptop via 1.44M diskette, you are in the position of being able to reduce the baud rate (at both ends) before attempting a Laplink to Laplink connection. I'm positive that will enable you to use a USB to serial adapter with Laplink 3.

In my opinion, FastLynx is the better of the two, but unlike Laplink 3, it can't 'push' itself down to the 'old' computer. So in your situation (you can get software from the Internet to the 'old' computer already), I think you'd be better off using the FastLynx procedure (compared to Laplink).

I do have a USB floppy drive, and that's how I've been moving data so far.
That's going to be a lot faster than serial cable.

If you are committed to a cable solution, and a network is out of the question, then perhaps upgrade the Laplink/FastLynx/Interlink transfers to parallel cable.

That's going to be a lot faster than serial cable.

If you are committed to a cable solution, and a network is out of the question, then perhaps upgrade the Laplink/FastLynx/Interlink transfers to parallel cable.

Faster indeed. I'd actually forgotten just how slow serial was, but it at least gives me more options, and I don't mind waiting for a few files. I actually did the push procedure anyway just because, since it had been so long since I'd done anything over a serial port. Nostalgia and all that.

There's a file on the laptop called "THLINK.EXE" that functions almost identically to Laplink, aside from lacking the advanced features.

I'm just glad that I've been able to verify functionality of the serial and parallel ports. Prior to this I wasn't even sure they worked, because the lone serial mouse I still had wasn't working no matter what I did. I've since concluded that the serial mouse I have is dead, and just ordered a cheap one to replace it. Also have the friend who got me this system looking for a period correct serial mouse for the retro factor.

...Also have the friend who got me this system looking for a period correct serial mouse for the retro factor.

I'd try to find one of the period correct serial trackballs that clips to the edge (like the Logitech Trackman Portable), I would see those all the time back in the day clipped onto old laptops that lacked a built in mouse.

I'd try to find one of the period correct serial trackballs that clips to the edge (like the Logitech Trackman Portable), I would see those all the time back in the day clipped onto old laptops that lacked a built in mouse.

I was thinking of that too, but I could never get the hang of using a trackball, though it would look "just right" hanging off the side.

I wish I could find the power supply for the external Intel 14.4 modem that I bought back in '94. It's a bit newer than this laptop, but it would be fun to hook it up again, even if I don't have a phone line and there's nothing to dial anyway.

So far the computer is coming along nicely. I have a few parts on order: a new backup battery (CR2330), a cheap serial mouse, and both a USB to serial adapter and a DB9 port and bracket. Ended up not needing either of those since I found my motherboard actually has a serial header, and I pulled a DB9 connector and cable assembly from a late 90s HP case and pulled a bracket off a dead video card.

Right now I have a parallel port Zip drive connected for backup and file storage. 100MB doesn't seem like much these days, but when you're working with a machine that has a 42MB hard drive, it may as well be unlimited storage!

Current plans are to recreate, as closely as possible, the computing environment I had in my early teens. My family was pretty poor growing up, and thus it wasn't until the early 90s when my family finally got a computer, a 386SX-16 from the infamous Packard Bell. :) I hated sharing with siblings, so eventually I had my own computer, a secondhand Compaq 286 with a monochrome monitor. My parents threw them both away when I was at college. :(

The laptop feels like a combination of the two, with the memory and processor of the Packard Bell combined with the monochrome screen and hard drive of the Compaq. I'm rather sad that I no longer have the backups I made of both hard drives, but most, if not all of the software should be pretty easy to track down, not counting the stuff I still have the installation floppies for. Well, assuming those are still good. My SimAnt disks no longer work, despite being safely stored in their original box for the past 20 years, but floppies always were a volatile form of storage, as we all know.

Haven't been on here for a bit, since I've been playing with the 6800. :)

Installed a new clock battery, and it now keeps time and settings despite my hacking of the battery socket in the process. The serial mouse arrived also, and it works, though it's been odd using a ball mouse after all these years, since I've been using optical since the first MS Intellimouse.

I also managed to get tcpser working on my Win7 machine so that I can trick Telemate into "dialing out" to Telnet enabled BBSes and relive that part of my youth as well.

Haven't been on here for a bit, since I've been playing with the 6800. :)

Installed a new clock battery, and it now keeps time and settings despite my hacking of the battery socket in the process. The serial mouse arrived also, and it works, though it's been odd using a ball mouse after all these years, since I've been using optical since the first MS Intellimouse.

Nice to see you having fun! A ball mouse is weird isn't it. lol We've gotten spoiled with the optics.

I also managed to get tcpser working on my Win7 machine so that I can trick Telemate into "dialing out" to Telnet enabled BBSes and relive that part of my youth as well.

I'm interested in this "tcpser". I just looked it up and can't quite understand what it does. Is it for the echo and Hayes commands that it has interest? I don't think it's been mentioned on this forum before and it looks like it could be what some people are looking for. I've found the regular old pppd (like an ISP) works to connect old computers via serial to the internet, but it looks like tcpser does something else that could be of use to people running old kit.

Nice to see you having fun! A ball mouse is weird isn't it. lol We've gotten spoiled with the optics.
I'd actually forgotten just how fun this was. Sure, I have a Phenom II here that can do all sorts of amazing things, including running dozens of instances of DOSBox if I wanted to, but it just isn't the same as using actual hardware. The nice thing about this laptop is that it approximates the hardware I grew up with, but can be easily tucked away, not that I plan on doing that anytime soon.

I'm interested in this "tcpser". I just looked it up and can't quite understand what it does. Is it for the echo and Hayes commands that it has interest? I don't think it's been mentioned on this forum before and it looks like it could be what some people are looking for. I've found the regular old pppd (like an ISP) works to connect old computers via serial to the internet, but it looks like tcpser does something else that could be of use to people running old kit.

I stumbled upon it by accident while looking for Telemate, a DOS terminal program I probably spent thousands of hours using during my teen years. I never expected to actually dial a BBS again, I just wanted to have the program on the laptop for the sake of nostalgia. In the process of looking for Telemate, I found some information on tcpser, including a few YouTube videos, and it was one of those moments we've all had where we're looking for something, but find something much better instead.

I hadn't even considered it as a possibility, but tcpser is a program that turns a serial port into a Hayes compatible modem that can send and receive over TCP/IP. What this means is that the 386 thinks there's a modem at the other end of that null modem cable, and "dials out" through the internet to the telnet enabled BBSes that still exist.

In a nutshell, the process is this:
1. Connect old computer to new computer via null modem.
2. Run tcpser on new computer.
3. Run terminal program on old computer.
4. "Dial" a BBS through the emulated modem. (Sadly, this process is now silent, so you'll have to make your own sound effects.)

The command I used was "tcpser -d /dev/ttyS0 -l 4 -s 19200" This command tells tcpser to listen on COM1, with a log level of 4, and a speed of 19200. I had to play around with the speed, as the default of 38400 was causing garbled ANSI and other issues, although I'm not entirely sure if that was due to my hardware or a bug somewhere. The fun thing is if you want to emulate the crawling text of the really old modems, just set the speed to something like 300 and get a cup of coffee. ;)

Once you've run your terminal program just "dial" with ATDT followed by a bbs address. If you're looking for BBSes to try, there's a listing available at http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit, I'm far from an expert and feel I've only scratched the surface, but it has been real fun getting back on a BBS some 15-20 years later, so I'm happy to explain more if it helps.

--Snippy-Snip--

I hadn't even considered it as a possibility, but tcpser is a program that turns a serial port into a Hayes compatible modem that can send and receive over TCP/IP. What this means is that the 386 thinks there's a modem at the other end of that null modem cable, and "dials out" through the internet to the telnet enabled BBSes that still exist.

--Snippy-Snip--

I tried really hard to do that once, but couldn't figure it out. Apparently I didn't have the right software - though granted I was using an 8088 Sr. Partner. I'll have to check that out next time I get the itch to play with my XT/AT boxen.

I *did* however get it on the 'net by telnetting into a Linux laptop with a wifi card. This meant I was essentially using the laptop as a huge OP wifi card with a serial interface, but the part I didn't manage was using it directly, rather than via terminal emulation. :/

Back