• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Preserving data in RAM while a booter is running

Very nice and polished!

My only suggestion is to not use a red border for adjustment, but instead go full #15 (and have a dark frame around whatever is inside so that it is easy to tell what the picture area is). The reason is because a very high average picture level can distort the image, and artificially push the content left or right based on the content and voltage level. By driving the output as hot as possible, you can adjust for the worst-case scenario.

Just my $0.02, it's already amazing :)

Thank you- appreciated!

My only suggestion is to not use a red border for adjustment, but instead go full #15 (and have a dark frame around whatever is inside so that it is easy to tell what the picture area is). The reason is because a very high average picture level can distort the image, and artificially push the content left or right based on the content and voltage level. By driving the output as hot as possible, you can adjust for the worst-case scenario.
Hmm, interesting point. Naively I would've said that such brightness-related 'bloom' would cause the image to expand pretty much equally on both sides, but my TV is a poor test case (interestingly the distortion on it is sort of hourglass-shaped, i.e. more at the top and bottom edges than across the middle).

Perhaps in order to test for the two absolute extreme cases, I should alternate between a dark image with a #15 border, and a very bright image with a #0 border? I could make that an option in the future.
For now, I find that "TVCGAFIX 3" in my AUTOEXEC.BAT (or the equivalent boot disk) takes care of things satisfactorily for me. :)

Consider this test pattern:

Needle-pulses-and-steps.jpg

If the contrast of the analog CRT TV is set very high, the bottom half of the image will bend (to the right IIRC). So the idea behind my suggestion is that, if the screen displays all white screens (like in the booter Facemaker), they might be shifted further in a direction and possibly off the visible area.

I like your idea of toggling between a dark and light border.

Back