• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Press Release: Commodore Announces Four New Books for the Commodore 700

Warty

I am pleased to pass on the attached press release, fresh off the wires from Commodore.
I am the author/editor of the first book, the programmer's reference guide for the 600/700 series. The book will be launched at the New Computing Festival Midwest in September. A pre-release version will be available for review at the New Computing Festival East in Wall, NJ, later this month. Pricing and ordering details are TBD.

Attachments

• 2023-04-01 Press Release - CBM 700 Books.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
If you are going to the Vintage Computer Festival East in Wall, NJ, you can check out a pre-release version: please see the table of Michael Weitman (his will be the table crammed with interesting old computers). If that doesn't narrow it down, look for a Foenix Retro Systems sign.

I am planning to be at VCF Midwest in September, and will have a few copies available. I will be setting up a web site for ordering soon, and expect to be able to offer the following options:
- C128 PRG style plastic comb binding (heavy front and back covers, 20lb paper in between)
  • Same as above, but disc bound instead of plastic comb. Maybe good if you have a disc bound punch, and want to be able to swap pages around. Another advantage is that you can open it 360 degrees. Disadvantage: not as robust. Same cost as plastic comb.
  • Print it yourself. Cheapest option by far, but only until you start printing. Assembly involves printing on US legal, cutting in half, then whatever binding you want. The covers are a separate file (I print them at OfficeMax to get the shiny, thick covers)
  • PDF: Good for searching, etc.
I could also explore Amazon eBooks if anyone is interested. Looks pretty straightforward.

If anyone knows of a source of US Legal sized paper lighter than 20lb, please let me know. Just on the odd chance that no publisher wants to publish a book about an unpopular 40-year-old computer, I will be hand assembling these, and the 20lb paper feels a bit stiff to me.

And finally, if you are a B128/CBM II owner, I think you'll want a copy: my primary goal was to have a solid reference book for my own use with the machine. I have tried to synthesize many sources, including the Protecto PRG, the user manuals, CBUG posts, Transactor articles, and anything else I could find. The BASIC tutorial is probably not super interesting to an existing B machine owner, unless you somehow never learned BASIC, in which case you should check it out. The ML tutorials are not to teach ML (just get Butterfield), but cover the tools available on the B machines. I am waiting to write/finish the chapters on graphics, sound, and serial comms until I get my 710 working and can test on real hardware. I don't trust VICE for finicky things.

Attached: rather bad photo of the book (disc bound version), showing the covers. I may reshoot the machine to have a more similar angle to C128 PRG photo. Also the first section, showing TOC and the intro chapters.

Attachments

• CBM 700 User Reference Guide_v0.9.12_covers.jpg
    CBM 700 User Reference Guide_v0.9.12_covers.jpg
    839.7 KB · Views: 10
  • CBM 700 User Reference Guide_v0.9.12_sectionI.pdf
    903.2 KB · Views: 7
I thought this was all April Fools, but you are saying the book is real?

Wow, that book looks absolutely fantastic!

When is the accompanying hardware going to ship to customers? <grin>

I've never had hands on with any of the CBM series, unfortunately.

- Alex

The plastic binding combs came for the 700 manual today, but they don't really hold the advertised page count. Works much better with 20 fewer sheets. That's bad news as I need those 20 sheets, and have probably 10-30 more pages to write.

Appearance wise, the combing looks great I think. Very much like the C128 PRG.

Disc bound feels less solid (nothing stabilizing it along the spine), but pages much easier to turn, and you can open it "360 degrees" at any arbitrary point.

I may offer both and let people decide.

Attachments

• IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Back