• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Preventive maintenance on PDP 11/23 fans ??

Gerardcjat

Experienced Member
Did someone ever lubricated ( oiled ) fans on a PDP 11/23 ??

The ones I own ( so far without working noise !) do not appear allowing such maintenance : No rubber "cap", as I would have guessed, but kind of metal cap.

Any suggestion ??

Gerard,

Different manufacturers of the fans have different bearings and different service methods. The fans I like best are the ones in my pdp8/a. The fan wheel was held on with an internal locking ring. There is a little aluminum cap under the locking ring that has "GP" printed on it. These were "Super Boxer Fans" from IMC. It all came apart and everything could be cleaned/examined/lubricated inside. It had sleeve bearings.

Which fans do you have? Maybe you can post a photo?

Lou

Best whishes for the new year, to everyone !!

@ Lou : Thanks, one more time, for your help.
Here are the pic. Do you think these can be easily disassembled ?? As there is no noise so far, may be better : "if it's not broken, don't fix it" ??
But on the other hand ... now that every sub-assembly stands disassembled on the bench .....

Déchargement du 6 Jan 2014f 080.jpgDéchargement du 6 Jan 2014f 082.jpg

The one shown is the 100 CFM one.

Last edited:
For the records :

I started again my PDP 11-23 restauration.
Working on the power supply. So far found TWO capacitors totaly dry ( using in circuit ESR meter - wondefull tool ! )
- One "big blue tank"
- The 560 uF 20 V. ( This one had leacked under ! )

Next step : Build a Dummy Load ( obviously for PS check ! )

For the very far future :
My "dream " is to connect a reel to reel tape drive ( Qualstar 1400 / 1600 ), PERTEC interface to this PDP ...
Any suggestion for a good and easy to work with adapter ( card ) very welcome !!

And if someone has already done so, please , let me know how your experiment was ....

Many thanks and again, a great new year to all.

Hi All;
Gerardcjat; Are You the one up on YouTube who has the video on the Qualstar 1400 / 1600 and trying to use it with a PC ??
I would say if nothing else take a coffee Can and put some oil in it and soak the fan in the oil, if nothing else works.. Just a thought..
THANK YOU Marty

Unless you plan on running this machine 24/7 I wouldn't worry about the fans. Better off to leave them alone than risk buggering them up.

Back