• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Printed circuit board software?

Floppies_only

Veteran Member
Gang,

Is it still possible to obtain software for the C64 that allows you to draw a printed circuit board like on AutoCAD? It seems that you can get disks for the machine well enough, but never the manuals, and I would think this program wouldn't be one that you could figure out intuitively. Do I have a chance of getting both? Oh, another question is if a program needs to be written for GEOS to run on top of it?

Thanks,
Sean

I remember at least one circuit design package for PCBs that ran on the 64, though it did not require GEOS.

However, for lack of a better question, why?

I am writing a series of short articles that build on each other to explain how a circa-1916 radio transmitter works for my Star Trek club's newsletter. I wanted to put circuit diagrams into the article but have them look better than what I can draw. I don't need it to run with GEOS, but the reason that I asked that is right now another thing I want to do is the Science Fair 200 in one electronics kit. It teaches a lot of stuff that I didn't learn in high school or when I got my ham radio license. My way of doing the experiments is to research online, and then create a paper for each one that go into a three-ring binder. The papers take a rigorous approach to describing each circuit.

Sean

Is it still possible to obtain software for the C64 that allows you to draw a printed circuit board like on AutoCAD?
I could not think of the program from the 80's. However, there is the newer, very powerful Giga-CAD Plus for the C64. I've always meant to learn more of its functions, but a friend has the manual right now.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

I remember at least one circuit design package for PCBs that ran on the 64, though it did not require GEOS.

However, for lack of a better question, why?

Oh, I was hoping that I could import pictures of circuit diagrams into a GEOS word processing document. You know, that brings up another question and I unfortunately don't have the number of my printer. When I was using Paper Clip on my C64, it didn't do margins at the top and bottom, so I was limited to reading a long fanfold instead of a stack of pages. I wonder, does GEOS do better at that?

Thanks,
Sean

Doing a little more research, there was Hi-Eddi and the later Mini-CAD with Hi-Eddi. I've heard of Hi-Eddi, but I don't know much about it.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm

Thanks, Robert. I have entered a new search on that auction place. I saw that a German version of Hi-Eddi and also the manual in Deutsch recently sold there.

Sean

Oh, I was hoping that I could import pictures of circuit diagrams into a GEOS word processing document. You know, that brings up another question and I unfortunately don't have the number of my printer. When I was using Paper Clip on my C64, it didn't do margins at the top and bottom, so I was limited to reading a long fanfold instead of a stack of pages. I wonder, does GEOS do better at that?

I imagine geoWrite is much more flexible in that regard, but I usually used Pocket Writer and/or Word Writer 5 for most of my word processing work.

Back