• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problem loading Street Rod (game)

3pcedev

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I've got a weird problem with two games, Street Rod and Street Rod 2.

When I try to load them on my 386DX-40 running DOS 6.22 I get past the two option screens (select video and audio) but then a box appears that says "copy all files to current directory Hit Return when ready ..."

I hit return and it jumps me back into DOS. This same behaviour occurs for both Street Rod and Street Rod 2. I tried using MoSlo just in case it was a timing thing but it made no difference. I even put the directory where the game was located into the PATH variable.

What is unusual is that these two exact copies of the games work fine in DOSBox and on my PII 500 running Win98. I even tried downloading the re-released Street Rod and Street Rod 2 from the new license holders (who have released them as freeware) but I get the same thing happening.

Anyone come across this before?

Classic mistake...

I was using mTCP's FTP client to copy the files onto my 386. I did a mget *.* like I usually do, however the library files are without extensions (i.e files called LIB0 LIB1 etc). I've always assumed *.* included files without extension....

Used mget * and all is now well.

I've always assumed *.* included files without extension....

This is true in DOS, but with FTP, the command is sent over to the server, and is interpreted on that side. On eg *nix systems, there is no concept of extension, so it just sees *.* as a wildcard that includes a dot (if you have a file named "this.ext", the dot is actually part of the filename in that case, which it is not in DOS. In DOS, the filename just consists of two parts, and the dot is used as a separator between the parts, it is not actually stored in the directory information).

Used mget * and all is now well.

And using that wildcard in DOS will probably only get you the files without extension :)

Back