• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems with Kaypro 10

SourMilk78

So recently I got a Kaypro 10 and I have had multiple issues with it

The first is the hard drive controller had all the ribbons disconnected it was like this when I opened it and if someone else has a picture of the proper way to connect everything to it that would be much appreciated!

The second is the power supply, now to my knowledge if a rifa blows I can just remove it without having replace it but I just wanted to make sure I'm not mistaken.

The third and final is the with installing a gotek, so I bought it with Flashfloppy already flashed onto it and it reads my usb stick and the files on it however I'm unable to figure out how to boot from it
I have the floppy ribbon connected to the motherboard and the separate power connector connected but whenever I turn it on I just get "Kaypro BIOS v1.9e"

Any help would be appreciated!

You might also try the Kaypro FaceBook group. Lots of experts there. There should also be pictures of how the parts are hooked up.

From the boot screen you must have ROM 91-302. It should try to boot from the floppy if there is no HDD, but I'm not sure what it does if there is no HDD controller (attached). Also, the floppy needs to wired for the first drive. I'm not sure how gotek works, but older systems like this use explicit drive select, not the "flipped" cable of IBM-PCs. Make sure your floppy cable is "straight" and the drive select is for the first drive (DS0 or DS1 depending on whether the gotek is "0" based or "1" based).

You might also try the Kaypro FaceBook group. Lots of experts there. There should also be pictures of how the parts are hooked up.

From the boot screen you must have ROM 91-302. It should try to boot from the floppy if there is no HDD, but I'm not sure what it does if there is no HDD controller (attached). Also, the floppy needs to wired for the first drive. I'm not sure how gotek works, but older systems like this use explicit drive select, not the "flipped" cable of IBM-PCs. Make sure your floppy cable is "straight" and the drive select is for the first drive (DS0 or DS1 depending on whether the gotek is "0" based or "1" based).
So I checked and you are correct it is rom 91-302 and I am glad to say your advice helped me properly connect the gotek!
Got it running the fake Space Invaders for CP/M!!

Attachments

• IMG_5232.png
    IMG_5232.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
If you didn't get the hard drive set up here are some pictures I had from when I was messing with one. I don't have the machine now so can't check cables.

20230519_171132.jpg20230519_184848.jpg

Back