• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Progs for C64 that are NOT games?

Latest news about free GEOS:

It will be downloadable in a set of files, with instructions on how to create your disks. All the normal applications are included. The add-on GEOS applications still for sale (geoPublish, geoFile etc) will work also with the downloaded copy, while the Wheels expansion requires original disks (i.e. not downloaded) to run.

Ready-made GEOS disks ($25) will be available for sale, and the GEOS + Wheels ($25) combo costs $40. It will be possible to use a CMD HD/FD or RAMlink, but to make GEOS boot from one of those devices, the user will have to buy geoMakeBoot for $10.

It sounds like a good deal for anyone only wanting to play around with GEOS, but if the idea is to get as many Wheels customers as possible, it seems a little disturbing to ask for $15-$25 extra only because you want to become a customer.

Any idea of a timeframe for the free download?

I think the $40 for wheels and geos 2 is probably cheaper then what it used to cost.

I see alot of people like me d/l geos 128 2.0 just to check it out, but how many really want to upgrade it to wheels since its basically obsolete for any real work?

To get a semi decent setup you need a superCPU and a big ram expansion which would cost more then a new wallmart pc that you can actually do other things with. Its just for the few C128 dieshards I guess. Even a compact mac is a better option then going with geos on the c64.

Unknown_K said:
Any idea of a timeframe for the free download? I think the $40 for wheels and geos 2 is probably cheaper then what it used to cost.
No, but if you are keen on obtaining it, I would suggest to check the web site once every two weeks or something like that. Yes, previously the combo cost $79, so the price is slashed in half.

Regarding obsolete, it depends like you say on how die-hard you are. With a SuperCPU, RAMLink and CMD HD, GEOS and followers may be quite competitive even today, in particular if equipped with an Ethernet cartridge of some kind. Anyone going there probably won't consider a PC which crashes all the time or a Mac which only looks fluffy.

Now GEOS is finally available for download. It is a 13 step process, and it will require quite some hand work to get it working I'm afraid, since GEOS is installed to a floppy much like how you today install things to a HD - it is not a prerecorded OS to boot out of the disk.

I haven't tried it myself, and I don't know if I have incentive to do so neither. But good luck to anyone getting it.

"carlsson" wrote :

> Now GEOS is finally available for download...

What?!?, so now it's available for Zip Zero?!

Looks like someone found my comments &
decided to release it as freeware or something!
:)

Maybe they feared that tons of C64 users would
find my comments & go after them! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Back