• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 60 error 10480, no ESDI drives detected.

ButINeededThatName

Experienced Member
So long story short, I finally managed to get one of my diskette drives for this system fixed and working and decided to load it up with hardware, including an IBM ESDI controller and two IBM type 0667, 70MB ESDI hard disks.

I ran setup and cleared out all of the typical errors (162 & 163, etc.) and am now stuck with error 10480, which appears to be related to the ESDI drives / controller. Both drives spin up, make a click sound followed by what I can only describe as a "springing" sound. The hard disk LED stays lit for about a minute, then the system boots from diskette. When running the diagnostic utility, the hardware overview shows "0 ESDI Fixed Disk(s)" and diagnostics on the controller itself gives error 01045580.

I don't really have any experience with ESDI drives / controllers. The "closest" thing to it is MFM on my XT, so I'm hoping someone on here more knowledgeable on this topic can help me sort this out.

Are those ESDI drives original to your Model 60 or were they used in some other computer ?
I think the IBM PS/2 ESDI drives had some special formatting applied, and if it was reformatted
to work in other non PS/2 systems it may not work correctly in the PS/2.

I would try attaching only one ESDI drive and attempt to get that working first. Also see if both drives
produce the same errors when attached individually.

Last edited:
Are those ESDI drives original to your Model 60 or were they used in some other computer ?
I think the IBM PS/2 ESDI drives had some special formatting applied, and if it was reformatted
to work in other non PS/2 systems it may not work correctly in the PS/2.

The one I have in the "Drive 0" position was original to the machine, the other (same FRU) I bought tested working, advertised as a "Model 60/80 ESDI Hard Drive"

I've also since checked the cables are connected properly and that the drives are grounded correctly, pulled the terminator resistor pack from the second drive, "Drive 1", and set the DIP switches on each drive (Off, Off, On, On, Off Off for Drive 0 and Off Off On Off On Off for Drive 1"

Last edited:
Well, after some more troubleshooting and manually running the diagnostics on the ESDI drives / controller, I finally got a concise answer on what my issue is; A dead controller. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare so it looks like this project is on hold for the time being.

Back