• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 80 - max memory? and CPU question, too

pkhoury

Experienced Member
I have a PS/2 Model 80 with an IBM-branded 486 upgrade card that I decided I'll keep in my collection. That said, I know the officially published specs are 16MB of RAM, but is it possible to add additional memory, say to 32MB? Or has anyone else done so? I haven't powered it up in a minute, but I think there's at least 16MB in it now.

On the note of the CPU module - I forgot, but it's either a 486DX-25 or 33. In theory, I shouldn't have any issues sticking in an Overdrive DX2, right? It has an integrated heatsink on it, and a speed bump would be nice.

I'll try and get you the full model number tomorrow when I get a chance. Pretty sure it's not the version with onboard cache, though it does have a 486DX upgrade (not a 486DLC). I wasn't planning on keeping anymore PS/2 towers and when I looked inside, remembered why I earmarked this system to keep. :)

I'll try and get you the full model number tomorrow when I get a chance. Pretty sure it's not the version with onboard cache, though it does have a 486DX upgrade (not a 486DLC). I wasn't planning on keeping anymore PS/2 towers and when I looked inside, remembered why I earmarked this system to keep. :)
The -Axx was the pinnacle of the Model 80. Note that it has >two< AVE slots. This was designed for the Japanese market,

I believe I still have the MCA Kingston card that should upgrade the system to max 64mb. I'll look this weekend in the hoarde for you.

I have Model 80's with CPU upgrades (486/33 I think), don't recall the RAM but probably over 16MB.

Back