• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ps2 port expansion card?

Jan

I need to add a ps2 port to an eisa slot computer. Anybody know where I can find such a gadget? It seems these used to be for sale years ago but I can't find any now.

I need one of these right away.

if you need to connect just a keyboard, you can easily find PS/2 to AT adapters..

if you need a mouse, then I don't know...

if you need to connect just a keyboard, you can easily find PS/2 to AT adapters..

if you need a mouse, then I don't know...

Serial or Bus mouse? PS/2 ports weren't on any adapters I know of. The OP needs to say more information about why a needed PS/2 port isn't there.

I never seen a PS2 port on a card, they tend to work using the keyboard chip. There are a few BUS mouse cards sold by Microsoft (and others) before mice were common, they have a different pin orientation and work differently then a ps2 mouse.

I never seen a PS2 port on a card, they tend to work using the keyboard chip. There are a few BUS mouse cards sold by Microsoft (and others) before mice were common, they have a different pin orientation and work differently then a ps2 mouse.
I have two BUS mice, and a broken BUS mouse.. I even have an ATI VGA card with a built in BUS mouse connector...

never used it cause my bus mouse was a trackball..

more info

more info

I need something like a ps2 expansion port because the replacement keyboard/trackball combo only has a ps2 mouse plug. The computer has only one ps2 plug and it is not wired to pins 2 & 6 for the mouse. The board pre-dates that concept and there doesn't seem to be an additional pin set internally that looks like a ps2 connection (5 pin combo with one pin cut). The original keyboard/trackball had a serial plug for the mouse er ball. The manufacturer quit making it this way years ago. And no, a regular mouse won't do, as this is on a machine where the operator would have to hold the mouse in his hand or chop part of the keyboard off and set it there.

The other option would be to replace the cpu card, except that it has a feature plug that connects to an additional video card that is using special software to incorporate video from a camera (microscope) into the operator screen. Otherwise it would be a piece of cake, swap out the board and install the new keyboard.

Easiest solution is find an expansion card or another gimmick to convert a ps2 to serial port (got 3 not used).

While PS/2 keyboard to AT keyboard seems fairly straightforward, I'm not so sure about PS/2 mouse to 9-pin serial mouse. It appared each manufacturer had their own adapter, and probably different drivers too. If the combo controller has its own driver, I believe it could be difficult to connect it via a serial port adapter.

A bit related is that I tried to connect a Microsoft PS/2 mouse to the serial port on my old Pentium (I know, not vintage enough, but I gather it would work the same way on a 386). I used the adapter that came with the mouse, and installed a suitable driver. It works fine as long as the mouse is attached directly to the serial port. Then I added a KVM switch inbetween, and the mouse is no longer recognized at all! Absolutely dead. The Pentium also has a true PS/2 header on the motherboard, which I assume is for mice. I installed the suitable cable and connector, but it would not work with any mice at all. In the end I solved this by having two mice at my desk, the Microsoft PS/2 one for my major PC and an old serial noname one for the older computer.

Back