• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

pski model2archive

jgrillout

Experienced Member
I discovered the /pski/model2archive on github. I'm excited to see it has software for the xenix OS for the model 6000. It also has the accounting software I used in the past. Even better it has a COBOL development software. mbasic, multiplan. Now if I could just figure out how to use this. There are several IMD files.

I launched the trs80gp emulator and chose to emulate the model 6000. I have tried to insert a diskette in drive 1. I chose an IMD file and typed dir :1 and get an error 39. I get the same error on all the DMK files.

I also tried the hard drive menu to connect to emu files. it accepts an existing emu file and shows the drive geometry after I connect to the emu. I tried dir :emu and dir :4 and get an error 39.

I can use some tips please.

You are right dittman. I did not. I tried again with caps lock on and got a directory. Awesome it works if I connect a IMD from the Tandy folder. But If I pick an IMD from the Xenix folder and do DIR :1 I get an error 9 . I suspect those IMDs are Xenix format and could be used on a system with Xenix already installed. I guess I need to find an IMD for Xenix installation that TRSDOS can read. I don't see one in the Tandy folder. Any other suggestions ?

There are Xenix HD images in the model2archive that you can mount in trs80gp. Then you can install and run the Xenix floppy software using “install”.

There are Xenix HD images in the model2archive that you can mount in trs80gp. Then you can install and run the Xenix floppy software using “install”.
I have the whole archive downloaded via git. I searched for *.hdv and no results found. What do i use for the Xenix HD images?

Get the drem HD image here. See the trs80gp website for guidance on how to use it.

Thanks for the guidance. I'm looking on http://48k.ca/trs80gp.html under the Working With Hard Drives. and I don't understand this. I am using the model 6000 emulation then I pick hard drive --> connect hard disk. It shows the X33070MD.CFG file ( a DSK doesn't appear) and I pick that use the CFG file you suggested, it connects without an error but if I type DIR :4 I get and error 32. I'm not sure how to boot it. Could you explain?
Thank you,
John

Hit <ENTER> at the Xenix prompt. Then login as the root user with blank password.

DIR :4 is not recognized by Xenix. It's a whole different operating system. There's lots of Xenix documentation in the model2archive to get you going.

Once you have the hard drive connected you'll need to use File -> Reset Button to reboot.
Now you get into the usual Xenix startup. Namely:

Press Enter (to select the Xenix kernel)
Press Ctrl+D to boot normally.
Enter the current date
At the login prompt, type "root" (there will be no password prompt)

And you're in. One important thing. When you want to quit, run "haltsys" first. Otherwise Xenix will have to check the file system when you start up again.

Once you have the hard drive connected you'll need to use File -> Reset Button to reboot.
Now you get into the usual Xenix startup. Namely:

Press Enter (to select the Xenix kernel)
Press Ctrl+D to boot normally.
Enter the current date
At the login prompt, type "root" (there will be no password prompt)

And you're in. One important thing. When you want to quit, run "haltsys" first. Otherwise Xenix will have to check the file system when you start up again.
Yes ! that works. I was able to install the Accounts Receivables & Accounts Payable, The COBOL development system too. The source code for these accounting modules isn't in the archive in Xenix format. It is in the TRSDOS format. Once I get that source code into Xenix environment, I hoping I can complie it. This is a project we wanted to do in 1985 but the CEO was too cheap to get us the source from Radio Shack. So we had to resort to mbasic to meet the needs the COBOL software lacked.

Back