• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PSU question on early Model A 5150

I have another question for you @modem7 - when replacing tantalums, does the voltage value matter (if I were to go higher)? I have an AST ComboPlus card I was hoping to use with this motherboard, but my test system (a 5160) won't power up, and I'm wondering if it, too, has bad tantalums. On the AST card, they're also 10uF, but 25V. I'd prefer to place an order for a large lot of a given voltage. Should I just order 25V and 16V, or would I be okay substituting 16V for everything?

I have another question for you @modem7 - when replacing tantalums, does the voltage value matter (if I were to go higher)? I have an AST ComboPlus card I was hoping to use with this motherboard, but my test system (a 5160) won't power up, and I'm wondering if it, too, has bad tantalums. On the AST card, they're also 10uF, but 25V. I'd prefer to place an order for a large lot of a given voltage. Should I just order 25V and 16V, or would I be okay substituting 16V for everything?
In this application, electrically, using 25V items in place of 16V is not a problem. Physically, the size difference should not be much.

I have an AST ComboPlus card I was hoping to use with this motherboard, but my test system (a 5160) won't power up, and I'm wondering if it, too, has bad tantalums.
Presumably, you are wondering that because the IBM 5160 does power up (the key word being 'power') when the card is not fitted.

Back