• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quadra 605 not booting

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Got a Q605 - 33Mhz hack, full RC040, 64MB SIMM, 250MB hard disk, PDS etherent, I think MacOS 8.1

It was put away working about 2-3 years go.
Pull it out, nothing.
Dug out a good battery from my inventory (read: garage) and popped it in.
I can hear the startup chime, and then I hear this 8-10 note song, but no video, nothing.

Removed 64MB SIMM, same deal. Removed Ethernet card, same.

Any ideas? Never heard a Mac sing like that...of course, hopefully it's not a death chant...

T

If it played a song, 7 notes, similair to a flute playing (You might expect this kind of music in "anime") then that was the death chime. If you have Windows 2K or higher, or OSX 10.2 or higher, then download MacTracker. It is a handy program that is updated when Apple releases new products. It countains information on every Macintosh ever built as well as printers, scanners, keyboards, mice, etc. Pretty cool program.

The Macintosh probably just needs some trouble shooting. I got my Classic to sing it's death song when I was screwing with the debug buttons, but it wasn't dead.

--Ryan

mactracker is cute, but what can I do with it?

Anyways, I basically removed everything, even unplugged the SCSI drive, same thing.

I'm thinking of yanking the logic board to make sure the solder job I did on the 33MHz hack is still OK.

Down here in Florida, if you don;t do things by the book when soldering, you can find your solder jobs showing RUST, of all things, within a few months!

T

Ya, I lived in Polk County in a town called Lake Wales. Central Florida, just in case you didn't know. Boy was it humid! Couldn't stand it.

Yup, checking the hack is definately a major thing to make sure is in good shape.

I use MacTracker to get information about specific Macintoshes off-line. It also can play each Macinosh's start-up chime and death chime, which is where I got the death-chime music for the Quadra of yours. The program can be helpful and informative to Macintosh fanatics, such as myself.

Anyhow, sounds like you are doing all the testing by the book, but let's see how your solder job is holding up.

--Ryan

Nope - looks fine. Checked the logic board underside with a magnifying glass, and all looks OK.

MacTracker didn't play the chime for me, but i found the audio file it has in it's folder and played it, and yup, that is what it's doing.

I dunno - and I think these Q605's are super cool, too - alot of power in that itty, bitty, tiny space!

Oh well - C'est la vie.

T

There is some sequence of keys that you have to hold down while booting up when you get those chimes which requires both hands and your nose to reset the PRAM parameters.

Here's what I came up with;

Check to make sure that -
A valid Universal version of the Mac OS is loaded without any third party INITs other than the PowerPro Control Panel.
All expansion cards are firmly seated without any bent pins or loose ribbon cable connections.
PowerPro jumper pin settings are correct for your model Mac. On PowerPros with RAM expansion, all PowerPro RAM is firmly seated.
Any SCSI devices are properly connected and terminated.
Zap the PRAM. Hold down the "P", "R","OPTION" and "COMMAND (APPLE)" while the Mac restarts. After it cycles through the beginning of the restart process a couple of times, let go of the keys and the Mac will finish booting up. You have just given the computer the rough equivalent of electro-shock therapy. So, it may take it as long as ten minutes to boot. And when it does, some of your settings (e.g., General Controls) will have to be reset.
If you are using a PowerPro with RAM expansion, remove any PowerPro RAM.
Remove any NuBus cards from the system.
Remove all SCSI devices except the boot drive. Make sure it is properly connected and terminated.
Once the system is started, put the additional hardware back on - one piece at a time. Restart between each piece until you see the problem reoccur. Congratulations, you've found the culprit!

Back